Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forster GT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '99 Forester GT with A/T. Before buying it, I took it to a trusted mechanic who, before taking a look at it, warning me against buying it with the amount of milage.
But after he checked it over, he told me that it was in great condition and was worth the buy.
The car drives smoothly, looks great, and seems to have been very well cared for, but now only a few weeks after purchasing I am experiencing a few problems that are very concerning.
At least once a day for the last few days, after driving the car for about 40 mins, the engine will shut off and will not start again for anywhere between 1-4 mins. The car will continue to roll unless I'm stationary and all the electrical systems (Dash, radio, windows) continue to work.
In addition to this, occationally when I have been driving for awhile or when starting it again after being parked awhile, there is a strange burning smell. Coming through the vents, and if I lift the hood.

Not sure whether it means anything, but it has been quite humid here over the last few days.

I've spent most of the day checking over the forums and the interwebs to see if people have had the same problem. Most refer to the fuel pump or various other things, but their symtoms, while similar don't seems to be the same as what I'm experiencing.
The car will run perfectly fine, then unexpectedly cut out.
Does anyone have any suggestions before I go buy some pricey-possible-fix parts?
I'd very much appreciate any help that could be offered.

·
Registered
1999 Forster GT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, after more researching I found a few articles and various forum posts about MAF issues.
Sounds a lot like the problem I'm having.
Stupid question, but is this something that can be checked easily?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you don't have a Check Engine Light, I doubt the MAF sensor is the problem.

I've had problems on 2 occasions w/ the ignition module and it's apparently a pretty common source of problems. When no-start occurs you need to check for spark to cylinders. No spark pretty much says the ignition module is not working.

Also check that power (12V) is getting to ignition control module. If no power to the module, a faulty keyswitch assy may be the problem. Not as likely since you say all dash lights come on when engine dies.

good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forster GT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! I will check that.
Drove to and from work today, 40 mins each way and dropped off a few people on the way home and had no issues.
Oh well, I'll check it over tomorrow being my day off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts