Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, originally posted under Electronics & Interior, but then I spotted the Europe section...

I got a 99 Forester S Turbo (manual transmission) a few days ago in Ireland, and despite having high mileage on it, it drives very nicely, and the acceleration is something else! However, there are a few little electrical things in it I need to sort out. The front and rear windscreen washer motors seem to have their connections crossed, as washing the front screen moves the wipers, but puts water on the rear window, and vice versa! The clock in the ceiling doesn't work. The headlight washers don't seem to work, a strange noise comes from what sounds like the glove compartment when I press the button, like an arcing circuit or something? Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram online, or can point me in the right direction for swapping the washer motor connections back, let me know! Likewise for a user manual. Maybe I should just go and buy one from Subaru? Anyway, thanks for listening (!) and hope someone can help out...

ian0

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
I think that the wiring diagram for my US-spec 2003 would be too different from yours to help. I don't have headlight washers or a ceiling clock.

But I do know that there are two separate pumps for the windshield washer. You ought to be able to find them in the vicinity of the tank. Sounds like the connections to them just got swapped.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The connections are at the tank, and it's an easy swap. In fact, on the US models after 2002, they were color coded to prevent just this sort of thing from happening. Not sure about earlier models. (I can't remember how it is on my 98)

As for the clock - odds are the clock internals could use a little work. Many people will tell you to crack it open and fix a connection or two with a soldering iron. My view on this (mostly due to my lack of circuit-board prowess) is that since a used replacement car (from a wrecker, etc) will cost you all of $20, just go buy another one.

The clock part hasn't changed in ages. It's used across many different models. The one I have in my 98 is from an '04 USDM Impreza STI.

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will give that a try!

Thanks, will try that out. To be honest, I was relieved to find the problem was crossed connections rather than a broken washer motor!

Kind regards,

ian0

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Common fault the clock not working Im still without it after 2 years !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
you do know the clock is a simple resistor dry joint don't you .....

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
My clock didn't work when I got my car but after a quick re-solder it was fine. If that doesn't work they are about £40 new from subaru.

R

·
0 Posts
Nich B said:
Common fault the clock not working Im still without it after 2 years !!!!!!!

had mine for 2 months and also my closck does not work. not sure if the power is getting their or the clock is up the creek. will have to look soon. juts having to find the time at the moment

Matt W

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
It is usally the resistor, as mentioned. I actually tried to fix mine before caving in... needless to say, i botched the job.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Which is why mine still doesnt work.

Im going to ring right now a breaker to see how much

·
Registered
775 Posts
No kidding, I fixed my neighbor's '99 Forester clock in less than 15 minutes start to finish by popping it out and re-soldering the resistor. It really is easy and the cost=$0.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
The washer bottle has two pumps, front and rear, here in the states the harness plug is specific to the pump. ie you can't plug the rear on the front's pump, it won't fit. I have a feeling they put the hoses on the wrong pump is all. Maybe when they did a spark plug change, for that you need to remove the washer bottle. Just a thought. So it's a hydraulic and not electric issue ;)

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Bugger looks like I will have to get me irons out

Last time I dismantled it, I distributed the contents in the footwell of the car, tooh 2 hours to find all those little button thingies

Breakers dont have any!

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Palatine® said:
Happy to help

Nich B
I spose your too busy though now;)
Nah , this is the easy bit. You get a smooth ride for a couple of weeks as they just sleep and eat ...

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally managed to get a look in the engine bay during daylight hours when it wasn't raining, and the hoses seemed to be connected to the wrong water pumps alright. Awkward to get at them though, ended up taking the battery out first, but finally I have washers and wipers working at the same ends of the car! Now I just need to fix the clock...

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

ian0

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
If I take it out and post it can you fix it ?

I am obviously far too busy now lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts