Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first post! The first car I ever owned was a '99 Subaru Forester. I loved it, but as I got used to driving I started to really want a manual. Long story short the transmission died on that car and it is now junked. I am thinking about buying another one except this time I want a manual. The question that I have is this: Can these cars be modified? I would really like to lower it and do some things to the engine to crank out some more horsepower. Can anyone recommend some engine modifications that will do that? And can you tell me if these can be lowered? Also, it would be really cool if I could stick a turbo in one of these babies. Is that possible? Some links to websites that carry these products would be great too. I never really thought about modding when I had my first forester, but now that my dreams of getting a WRX have been crushed I would love to "pimp" out a Forester. Thank you! -Josh

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Have you tried a search? The information is all here... You may also want to read the stickies in the tech forums.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Hi everyone this is my first post! The first car I ever owned was a '99 Subaru Forester. I loved it, but as I got used to driving I started to really want a manual. Long story short the transmission died on that car and it is now junked. I am thinking about buying another one except this time I want a manual. The question that I have is this: Can these cars be modified? I would really like to lower it and do some things to the engine to crank out some more horsepower. Can anyone recommend some engine modifications that will do that? And can you tell me if these can be lowered? Also, it would be really cool if I could stick a turbo in one of these babies. Is that possible? Some links to websites that carry these products would be great too. I never really thought about modding when I had my first forester, but now that my dreams of getting a WRX have been crushed I would love to "pimp" out a Forester. Thank you! -Josh
Welcome to the group.. Sorry to hear your tranmission went.. A bit surprised you junked it for just a transmission..

You can find manuals lots of places.. But e-bay is a good bet.. They sell shop manuals on CD for a few bucks.. And there are always owners manuals too..

The Forester is just a raw car.. You can do about any thing you like to it...
And lots of people here do.. Shop around the site and you can find lots to read and lots of pics too..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I have been searching around for info, but a lot of it confuses me. I'm not familiar with all of this car lingo. Can I install impreza parts on my forester? And what about the suspension? Do I need new wheels? And I also read something about swapping the impreza suspension with mine. I think it said that. I'm very tired so I could be getting things mixed up. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want a manual trans. and a turbo.. ur best bet would be to buy a newer forester with all you want.
I wish I could, but my problem is my budget so I decided that I will have to pass on the turbo after I read some threads about it. Could anyone tell me what I would need to buy to lower it because I am very interested in that. The threads that I read on lowering kind of confused me so if anyone knows a good product for lowering a '99 I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the group.. Sorry to hear your tranmission went.. A bit surprised you junked it for just a transmission..

You can find manuals lots of places.. But e-bay is a good bet.. They sell shop manuals on CD for a few bucks.. And there are always owners manuals too..

The Forester is just a raw car.. You can do about any thing you like to it...
And lots of people here do.. Shop around the site and you can find lots to read and lots of pics too..
What do you mean by shop manuals on CD and owners manuals?

·
Registered
347 Posts
What do you mean by shop manuals on CD and owners manuals?
Owners manuals are the ones that come with the car.. Most are lost before the cars get older.. Shop manuals are what the dealers and other people use to work on the cars.. You can find cheap copies on CD.. They are not interactive.. Meaning if you click on a subject it may not go there.. So you have to kind of look thru the disc to find what you want.. But the nice part is if you are going to do a job you can print out the job with the pics and take it out in the garage and mark off stuff as you go.. And when thru chunk it in the trash..

Click on this link and you will see some of them on e-bay..

subaru forester, buy and sell Manuals Literature on eBay Motors

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Owners manuals are the ones that come with the car.. Most are lost before the cars get older.. Shop manuals are what the dealers and other people use to work on the cars.. You can find cheap copies on CD.. They are not interactive.. Meaning if you click on a subject it may not go there.. So you have to kind of look thru the disc to find what you want.. But the nice part is if you are going to do a job you can print out the job with the pics and take it out in the garage and mark off stuff as you go.. And when thru chunk it in the trash..

Click on this link and you will see some of them on e-bay..\
Ohhh, but how does that help me?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ohhh, but how does that help me?
You said you wanted to lower the car and make changes and I guess if you can not figure out how having books or a CD that tells you all about the car and all its parts so you can change things to what you want then I bet they would not help at all..

Snowdance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts