Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on the other day, I pulled the code today and found P0463. My gas gauge was doing some weird wacky stuff too (this explains why).

My question is are there any repercussions to not fixing this other than not having a gas gauge when it finally fails for good? I don't particularly need it (I know how many miles I get out of a full tank) so I'd rather not drop 300 bucks on fixing it if I don't have to. Will it mess anything else up if the sensor goes bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had similar problem w/ my 99 Forester and also applied the "benign indifference" solution. It cleared itself, returned, re-cleared and has not returned for quite some time. I've heard that a bottle of Techron fuel additive may clean the resistor/wiper contact surface and clear the problem (supposedly sulfur deposits on resistor surface) also. I didn't try this since most fuels have cleaner additives anyway.

good luck

·
Registered
99 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had similar problem w/ my 99 Forester and also applied the "benign indifference" solution. It cleared itself, returned, re-cleared and has not returned for quite some time. I've heard that a bottle of Techron fuel additive may clean the resistor/wiper contact surface and clear the problem (supposedly sulfur deposits on resistor surface) also. I didn't try this since most fuels have cleaner additives anyway.

good luck
Thanks for the tip...I'll try some cleaning fuel additive if it comes back again, but so far it hasn't come back since I cleared it. Also, this seems stupid but I wonder if it is sensitive to octane level. I accidentally filled the tank with 93 (lol, my summer car uses 93) the last time and figured meh, it will just clean the injectors cause it burns a bit hotter...no worries.

I wonder if the sensor is just a whiney ***** :p

Anyway, if it comes back on again I'll try some cleaner additive or something but until then I guess I'm going to apply the ostrich's head in the sand resolution...lol

·
Registered
2000 Forester Dynastar
6 Posts
Hi there,
Just wondering if the additive helped.
My 2000 L just started doing this as well. Gas gauge seems to be all over the place and its thrown the same code twice now in the last week.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
1 Posts
Fuel Level Sensor

I have a 2009 Forester Turbo with 40k and all has been great. Recently got an oil change and fuel system clean at the Subi dealership two weeks ago. This morning all was fine and around lunch check engine light came on solid, gas gauge dropped below the E mark and has 3/4 tank and cruise flashing with low gas light flashing. Went to dealership to get checked and they are telling me the fuel level sensor is bad and going to have to drop the tank to change. Anyone know if this has any relation to their cleaning or what could cause this with not that many miles on the car? Or if this is an issue that is starting to arise.... mechanic told me that another lady just had the same issue in her Subi Az. I know that another car I had in 97 had the same issue happen and ended up being a recall later on. Any thoughts on who to contact within Corp. to run a complaint. Love the car; altough BS that something like this would happen with all the great things I have heard of Subi's before buying one. Also, heard from another Subi mechanic that some gas issues with to much sulfait or something that could be causing the issue. Would this cause the sensor to read as not working? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Fixing on Mon., need inspection done or could wait. Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
No one knows for certain, but a can of techron and "wait and see" may be helpful.

In my particular case, the fuel gauge problem never came back before I sold this year. I did not add any Techron.

You can live w/o a gas gauge as long as you keep resetting the trip odometer to zero when you fill up and watch the miles. If you keep to 250 miles or less before fillup, you should be fine.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts