Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this place! I have a 99 Forester that needs a rebuild on the engine and I'm trying to get a feel for what would be a resonable cost. I've been quoted $2500 by a reputable local Subaru third party shop. Do any of you have experince in this area? TIA!

-Greg

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of helpful info here. If you are getting a full rebuild of your engine, including removal and reinstall, and machine work, I think that sounds pretty good. Get a detailed list of what they are replacing. A "rebuild" can mean lots of things.

·
Registered
99 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back so quickly! I'll get a rundown on what their rebuild entails. Not being a mechanical individual, what are some general things I should look for in a rebuild?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Depends on what's wrong. Some internal parts can be reused (after inspection and machining) They will need to tear the motor down to give you a good idea of what is still usable and what will need to be replaced. Some shops just have a list of stuff they replace whether it needs it or not.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I agree with jgrote, the price sounds reasonable. Get a detailed list of both items expected to be replaced, reused and remachined(reworked/repaired). For items that are being replaced will they be OEM or aftermarket? There are a few items(pistons and timing belt components) that in my opinion should be OEM as the aftermarkets are sketchy(gates has a timing belt kit that is as good as OEM for just under $400.

However I guess the most important question that has not been asked, Why the need for the rebuild? What went wrong?

This may be a indicator of what may or may not be repairable.

·
Registered
99 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the need for the rebuild? What went wrong?

Good point. Well, I bought the Forester used so I don't have much background on it. It came from California. Here's what I do know about it's current running condition. It burns oil...badly. I often have to add oil every week. There is weak compression in at least one cylinder. The Check Engine light used to come on at random points. It now likes to stay on when I drive and blink when I'm stopped. The idle sometimes gets really rough, shaking the car. Those are the symptoms I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
99 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why the need for the rebuild? What went wrong?

Good point. Well, I bought the Forester used so I don't have much background on it. It came from California. Here's what I do know about it's current running condition. It burns oil...badly. I often have to add oil every week. There is weak compression in at least one cylinder. The Check Engine light used to come on at random points. It now likes to stay on when I drive and blink when I'm stopped. The idle sometimes gets really rough, shaking the car. Those are the symptoms I'm dealing with.
Also found out that cylinder 3 is misfiring and the knock sensor is engaging the check engine light. So, it's seemingly either a rebulld or some variation thereof. I'll be getting more bids today but my $2500 is looking the best so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts