Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my first subaru, loved it on the drive home and when I parked it noticed it was leaking fluid the next morning...

It looks a little greenish, but when I caught it with water it floated so I am guessing it is oil/coolant mixture?

I started up the car and white smoke blew out but cleared up after a short drive. It didn't smell particularly sweet to me. I noticed the person I bought it from had just changed the oil, possibly to hide this problem.

I am a novice mechanic, ie only done routine things in the past but am taking this as an opportunity to get immersed in it. I am thinking of pulling the engine, changing the head gaskets and any other gaskets (valve cover gasket, cam seal) and doing the timing belt while I am at it.

My first question is: Has anyone heard anything of ISHINO products for gaskets/ seals?

My other question is: Am I jumping the gun by doing all this work when I haven't experienced any overheating problems yet?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
My first question is: Has anyone heard anything of ISHINO products for gaskets/ seals?

My other question is: Am I jumping the gun by doing all this work when I haven't experienced any overheating problems yet?
1. If it's an external coolant leak, then a decent radiator/hg sealant will probably work (do not expect it to hold forever). Have not heard of this particular brand. If you have internal (exhaust to coolant) leak - do not bother, no sealant will work. And if you're going to replace HG anyway - do not mess with any "curable"/"permanent" sealants even as a temporary measure, as you will regret it, having to clean the engine once you take it apart.

2. No, it's about time to get it fixed, procrastination may cost you (i.e., likely getting stranded with an overheated engine).

White smoke == coolant. Top if off, "burp" the system, check what' going on, where you're loosing coolant and/or oil. Search the forum for more details (tests, explanations) on head gasket and similar issue(s).

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE

Thanks,

Did some more digging yesterday. Found milky residue on dipstick. So started tearing out the engine. Going to do HG and check engine over for any other problems. most likely do the timing belt at the same time.

While the engine is out is there anything else I should do?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts