Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 99 got replaced with a 2007 that handles WAY better than the 99 ever did. I'm looking to spruce up the SF a bit and am considering fixing up the suspension. It would be a general utility vehicle and frequently tow a trailer. The rear sags, and the car has never really handled well, especially with any weight in it. Because of this I would rather raise it than lower it, and king springs are painfully appealing, but I'm also thinking anything similar to the 2007's handling would be a huge improvement. I'll never really go off roading, but added height would be used in a utility capacity (curbs, fields, mud, etc.)

My questions:

1. If I spring for kings could they later go into the 2007 (forester) or my 2004 legacy. I could maybe rationalize them that way. (it's hard to throw money at an old car).
2. What is the cheapest upgrade path? Could parts from a newer SG junker or something else work? This car will otherwise be safe and sturdy, so I'm really just trying to get the suspension up to par.

Thanks,

Marlow

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Marlow, I don't think the Kings will fit the later Foz or Legacy - check their catalogue though. I mean they will fit in the car but they will not be compatible with the struts characteristics and height of the car.
AFAIK You can install SG susp. on your 99 Foz. Just have to go with the full set - front and rear.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
AFAIK You can install SG susp. on your 99 Foz. Just have to go with the full set - front and rear.
Yep, that's one way to use the same setup on SG later on. SG struts (front and rear), top hats (rear), dust boots (rear, front optional), and SG King springs are needed to make this for for SF. Alternatively, entire SF setup (complete struts/springs/tophats) assemblies can be bolted onto SG just as easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts