Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1999 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a used 1999 Subaru Forester with 141k miles on it. Just today, after owning it for all of three days, I notice a burning rubber smell from under the hood while the car is idling, particularly when I am stopped with my foot on the brake (seems less smelly when the car is simply parked). I noticed this after taking the car through an auto-car wash and saw a small amount of smoke coming out from under the hood, as well.

Later in the day I had to drive about 50 miles for an appointment, and on the way back home while on the highway, the check engine light came on. Thankfully I got an new inspection sticker BEFORE the light came on :icon_confused: The car wasn't making any smells while in motion (at least none that I could tell), but the smell is very obvious while stopped at stop lights and that sort of thing. I haven't seen smoke other than the incident at the car wash. I know you can only tell what's wrong by seeing the problem in person, but could you give me an idea of what could be going on and if the possible list of bad stuff are large expenses (like over $500?)

Also, I noticed yesterday in the rain that the front windshield wiper fluid squirters aren't working. The rear squirter is fine, and the main wiper fluid basin is full, so what could be wrong with it? I know in other cars I've had you hear a small motor or something when you squirt the wiper fluid, but I heard nothing in the new car.

I have to admit, I bought this car kind of hastily - I didn't take it to a mechanic to get checked out, I just judged it on the (very short) test drive and the fact that my best friend and several other acquaintences have Subarus and love them. I also apologize in advance for not knowing a whole lot about cars, Subarus in particular, but I am very eager to learn more.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts