Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Forester, with about 350k on it
been a great vehicle

at highway speeds the car has excessive body roll when changing lanes or banking a turn. its uncomfortable

I would like to correct it. but im not sure what would cure it

I Replaced all 4 shocks last fall..but not the springs

If I replaced the Springs would that help?, could i use stiffer springs then stock?
also what about replacing the sway bar with a new stock one? would that help?

any other suggestions to get a stiffer ride?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I'd suggest you start with a stiffer rear sway bar, that will stiffen the car, also the rear subframe lock bolts seem to (to me anyway) make the car FEEL like its rolling less, as they make the rear more precise and less 'detached'. I wouldn't bother with new springs unless they are stiffer.

Simon

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Rear sway bar, slightly larger, off a WRX, Outback, etc. Do a little reading on here to find which would work best for you. The stock bars are pretty wimpy. I doubt replacing it with a 'new' one will solve your problem.

If you don't need the gound clearance, lowering via WRX or similar springs will get rid of a lot of the body roll because you're lowering the center of gravity. But, you need matching struts to do that properly, and you just replaced yours.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Has the handling gotten worse? Its possible that an endlink has failed (ie the ball has popped out) so that the swaybar is effectively disconnected. Do you get any clunking?

What shocks were installed?

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
A stock Forester shouldn't have "uncomfortable" body roll, although it's hard to quantify that. Given your mileage, it sounds like something is seriously worn or broken. Have the springs ever been replaced? Bushings? I'd make sure you have your bases covered before you go upgrading swaybars, lowering, etc.

BTW, lowineg the ride height of a Forester is like raising the ride height of a Porshe. It totally defeats the purpose of owning the vehicle in the first place. I know some people will disagree with that but that's my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts