Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 forester 5spd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...I have a problem where I want to repair everything myself. That said, should I attempt a windshield replacement? has anyone here done their own? Any tips or opinions would be appreciated. I've got a huge spider web working it's way across the glass it's not going to pass PA insp.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
No way I would do a windshield replacement myself. Unless you have something like SafeLite uses to handle the glass, you are going to need at least one helper to do it. At the very least you will need two sets of the glass handling (vacuum) handles.

If your windshield is covered by your insurance, let the professionals do it. If you don't have glass coverage, I'd STILL let the pros do it. It's real easy to destroy a new windshield if you don't know what you are doing.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,262 Posts
Not a DIY project, in my opinion. Experience & the correct tools are required to do this properly... so you don't have issues with leaking or rusting. :icon_eek:

You can view my windshield write up here in my Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
98 forester 5spd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I don't have the insurance either...but will most likely opt for a pro install. I haven't been able to get a solid answer as to whether the new one from safelite has the wiper heaters in it. I will surely miss them if not. also wondering how well the glass installers will deal with the circuitry of the existing heaters if the new one is w/o.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Thanks guys, I don't have the insurance either...but will most likely opt for a pro install. I haven't been able to get a solid answer as to whether the new one from safelite has the wiper heaters in it. I will surely miss them if not. also wondering how well the glass installers will deal with the circuitry of the existing heaters if the new one is w/o.
You will get what you order ... a windshield with the heaters or one without. SafeLite should be able to supply an OEM windshield, although they probably don't keep them in stock.

If you buy a windshield without the heaters, there nothing to plug into the circuitry, therefore nothing to do about the circuit, although I don't know what effect that will actually have on anything. I've never replaced one with heating elements in it with one without.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts