Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine stopped by and he left me a copy of "Import Tuner" since it has an STi on the cover and he knows I like Subies. As I looked thru it I came to an article where they took a bone stock 99 Civic, spend $1600 to add a new exhaust, intake and headers and they gained a whopping 11whp and 6.1wtq. :icon_rolleyes:

I can believe they even published an article like that. what a joke. I spend $1600 on my engine/exhaust mods and gain 100whp/102wtq.

the article talked about how the gains are small but that it paves the way for future mods. All the future mods they list are pretty expensive and would put the build cost up there quite a ways. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :crazy:

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, it has an STi vs. Evo on the cover and a VS. shootout inside. It basically showed what most people know, the Evo is a better all out track car, the STi is a more friendly street car.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
yep, it has an STi vs. Evo on the cover and a VS. shootout inside. It basically showed what most people know, the Evo is a better all out track car, the STi is a more friendly street car.
:evilatyou:

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,055 Posts
A buddy of mine stopped by and he left me a copy of "Import Tuner" since it has an STi on the cover and he knows I like Subies. As I looked thru it I came to an article where they took a bone stock 99 Civic, spend $1600 to add a new exhaust, intake and headers and they gained a whopping 11whp and 6.1wtq. :icon_rolleyes:

I can believe they even published an article like that. what a joke. I spend $1600 on my engine/exhaust mods and gain 100whp/102wtq.

the article talked about how the gains are small but that it paves the way for future mods. All the future mods they list are pretty expensive and would put the build cost up there quite a ways. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :crazy:
Not quite a level playing field. If a car has a turbo, it costs almost nothing to kick the boost up to 90 lbs and get huge horsepower boosts.

For $1600, you could probably put a turbo on the Honda engine.

What are the returns/price of mods on a normally aspirated Subaru motor?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
+1.^ Are we trying to say that Forester owners aren't the only ones dumping a lot of money into their cars for little in return? Not talking about downpipes and tunes by the way.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
I choose not to acknowledge that fact. =)

Oh! damn, I think I did just that.

Damn evo

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Hondas are already tuned for good power out of a small displacement engine, it's hard and expensive to tune more out of them without boost. They came stock with, what, 100hp at the crank? 10% increase, about $160/hp? Not too cheap.

You can guess why the Hondah crowd is jumping on the Subaru bandwagon.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The article basically covers the first things people do, exhaust and intake. All that extra noise and money spend for no real gains. I just found it funny that one of the cover stories was a big expenditure for minimal gains and it is listed on the cover like it is a huge deal.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Well, if I owned a civic and was trying to race in SCCA's STS class, that gain would be respectable for the class. The '91 Civic SI is a force in it's class even making turbo Sub's in higher classes think twice.

But since you're talking horsepower per dollar, I've done about 243hp for a little over $1600 on a Civic. The truth is though experience replaces a lot of money when it comes to performance.

I think magazines are like goverment lobbyists. Whoever pays them the most to showcase their products, usually gets their products featured. If you ever been in the Honda scene for some time will know the most common set up is an AEM intake, DC headers and Greddy/Apexi/Tanabe exhaust.

You can guess why the Hondah crowd is jumping on the Subaru bandwagon.
Nope, always liked the Forester but being married now gives me an excuse to have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts