Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forrester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98S (high miles) now will start, but it shakes and has about 1/8 normal power--cannot be driven. It was stalling occasionally at a light. When I restarted it it usually had normal power, but occasionally shook a bit (like now) and had no power. If I turned it off and restarted it was then normal. Yesterday, it was like this on every start.

I was also noticing that when driving on roads w/ fresh snow it was occasionally losing power while moving for a few seconds and then returning to normal.

The shaking is of medium intensity, not like when my buick died several years age. The idle is around 1krpms (though when it would stall the rpms would be around 200.) I have had a full tune up with all new plugs and wires last summer--they seem to be properly attached.

Also, there was a good bit of corrosion on the battery (2 yrs old) and I took it off and cleaned it and the connections w/ steel wool.

Any ideas? I would love to be able to do the work myself if it might be something obvious.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
98 Forrester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would anyone know if a bad Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor might cause this? The problems I had before seemed to go away, but this was suggested then. I am wondering if the problems are likely related.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
98 Forrester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the MAF, try unplugging it and starting the car. When was the timing belt changed?
The timing belt was changed about 3K miles ago?

Once I figure out how to unplug the MAF, will it behave properly if this is the problem?

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
98 Forrester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize for the obvious question, but is a MAF the same thing as a Mass Air Meter?

it wont let me post another URL yet, but the first result in a google search for 22680-AA160 brings to an ebay auction for the part.

I unplugged it and the car seemed to start normally (with out the intense vibration) and then went to a total stall. I think (perhaps wishfully) that this might be the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts