Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 uk s turbo manual
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above anyone know,as i recently bought a 98 s/tb forester and rd gear is broken...are they interchangable/and are the rear diffs the same as impreza...???thanks...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,883 Posts
Hi Beario,

Welcome to the forum.

You say "rd gear is broken" what exactly does that mean?

Below is the spec for a classic SF Forester STi, which is very similar to the S/Tb, apart from some cosmetic changes.

Translation result for http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/typeM/data_spec.html

Gear ratios are the same as a UK/European Forester of the same age, except that the final drive reduction ratios are 4.444 (front and rear) whereas the UK/European one is 4.444 front, 4.111 rear (with a 1.081 transfer ratio).

An Impreza 2.0L turbo classic of the same age has a 3.900 front and 3.545 rear with 1.100 transfer ratio.

I would be looking for an Import Turbo Forester gearbox as a straight swap or a UK Turbo Forester box and then swap the transfer case from your existing box.(depending upon what "rd gear" means :biggrin:)

If all else fails speak to David at API.

·
Registered
99 uk s turbo manual
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there thanks for the reply and welcome seems a great forum...also your 7 miles from me would love to see your forester... when i wrote up the post i must have missed the 3 as in 3rd gear is not selecting,and its an s/tb import...so could i not junk the gearbox and rear diff and fit a wrx gearbox and rear diff...as was hoping to do this and use the sti or ra box and diff...
its getting collected on monday cant wait as its got some goodies on it...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,883 Posts
If you are prepared to swap the rear diff as well, then its probably not a problem. You may have to take drive shafts/hubs into account depending upon what you decide to fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts