Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 98 JDM EJ25 engine and I'm looking to put it into my 98 Forester that just blew.

My brother knows someone who can swap engines but isn't accustomed to USDM to JDM swaps. Does anyone have any sort of ideas what needs to be done or changed to get this engine to work in my car?

If all else fails I think there's a mechanic in town that can do it, but I know I'll end up paying an arm and a leg to have him do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5spd
12 Posts
Bumping this up.

I'm going to be picking up a 98 S but instead of waiting for the HG to blow again I'd like to swap in a 94-99 JDM EJ25 DOHC. Is this engine less prone to HG failures vs its USDM brotheren? The JDM engine comes complete as an assembly so would there be any issues with the swap besides the wiring? (i'd send the harnesses away to get merged).

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The only difference might be if you have an EGR and the jdm one doesn't. For a nonturbo there should be no need to get the harness merged, you might have to reuse some of the original sensors and the intake manifold though.

All the early DOHC 2.5L have issues with headgaskets. jdm are the same as usdm internally.

Just changing the headgaskets will fix it for a long time if its done properly and good MLS gaskets are used. Swapping the motor brings in a motor that you don't know the history on and could be even more likely to fail than the stock one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts