Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 forester thats been leaking trany fluid. I had a mechanic friend look at it and he couldn't find any obvious leak. Another mechanic friend has a '98 impreza automatic transmission (tz102za3ba-g9 and 844424), and I want to put it in my forester. I couldn't find anything specifically about the parts I have, but I read/heard I might have trouble with the rear differential, electronics (I can splice, shouldn't be a problem), ratios, and some other part I dont remember. Is this transmission compatible with my forester? If not, what do I need to do to get it to work?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
I have a '99 forester thats been leaking trany fluid. I had a mechanic friend look at it and he couldn't find any obvious leak. Another mechanic friend has a '98 impreza automatic transmission (tz102za3ba-g9 and 844424), and I want to put it in my forester. I couldn't find anything specifically about the parts I have, but I read/heard I might have trouble with the rear differential, electronics (I can splice, shouldn't be a problem), ratios, and some other part I dont remember. Is this transmission compatible with my forester? If not, what do I need to do to get it to work?
Where is it leaking from? Front or rear. It's simple as changing a seal!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The problem is we don't know where it's leaking from. I'm pretty sure the first mechanic said it's most likely not a seal in the front. I think the transmission itself has problems too, shifting is pretty hard sometimes, especially going uphill.

How hard is it to find the leak and change the seal? It sounded like it wouldn't be worth it to try find the leak... If it's not much harder than switching transmissions I'll try that.

Edit: This car has had some problems, so it might be time to get rid of it if it's on an easy/cheap fix. A head gasket blew so the engine was replaced with a refurbished one from Japan, and since then the check engine light has been on. The car also rolled when I hit a big, firm pile of sand, and the steering got ****ed up but at least now it steers better than before I crashed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts