Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Impreza L AWD Manual 205,000 miles

When I try to accelerate or gently let up on the throttle in about every gear at about 2100 rpms the car gose crazy, it starts bucking, lurching, even backfiring, and very little power. When I get back on throttle hard same thing untill it brings the rmps back up between 2500 rpms and 3000 rpms after that it would start doing it agian.Seems to be ok when cold/first trip of the day. It trough a P0301 & P0302 and turned the check engine light on so I checked the plugs and wires, regapped the plugs and reset the check engine light but no change. The light hasnt come back on again so im not sure what to do. Hear it could be coil but it seems unlikely and for it not to turn the check engine light back on seems odd.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5-Speed Manual
217 Posts
I'll try to help as much as I can, but keep in mind this is a forum dedicated to the Forester and not Imprezas. However, the CEL codes you mentioned are pretty much common along all makes and models with OBD-II Diagnostics.

P0301 - Misfire, Cylinder #1
P0302 - Misfire, Cylinder #2

1) I would REPLACE the plugs and wires - not just clean/re-gap them. When plugs misfire, they're usually already done for.

2) The ignition coils ARE a definite possibility; however, I'd also check for a faulty Ignition Control Module. Usually a good mechanic is your best bet to test those components for resistance/continuity with a digital multimeter.

Keep us informed, and we'll try our best to get you through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts