Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So winter is on it's way and I have a small problem. When the car is cold the brakes are stiff and don't really work. I recently did a brake fluid flush pumping out 11 year old brake fluid and putting in new stuff and I still have the same problem.

I can normally "pump" the brakes for a while until they work, but it's a bit annoying.

Any help would be greatly received.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
The pedal isn't low? The brakes are hard but just don't want to work? If this is the case, your hoses may possibly be swelling closed. They can do this when they get old, though I haven't heard of this on a Subaru.

If the pedal is low and you have to pump it to gain height, then the master cylinder seals are shrinking and it's time to replace.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
Provided the fittings are rusted, it isn't hard. You do have to bleed the brake system when you are finished, which requires an assistant.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Some people like to replace the rubber brake hoses with the braided stainless steel ones. They say it increases stopping power when you slam of the brakes because the rubbers hoses will flex and expand while the braided ones don't. Not sure how true that is.

I have seen fairly priced one on BrakePerformance.com. I personally have always had good luck with them. Their brake parts always seemed to last longer than the Auto Zone special. I have seen some bad reviews but judge for yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts