Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just need someone to tell me where I can get the liner in the undercover. I don't need to replace the undercover itself just that piece of felt like material in it. I have searched and searched and am not coming up with it. I can purchase the whole unit, but don't need it. Since my car is a few years old, maybe their using something else. If there is a replacement please let me know. Thank you so much

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
i doubt you can get just the liner for the undercover for a '98

if you really want one you could get one complete from a junkyard probably way cheaper than just the liner if you were to find it somewhere.

my first 2000 forester didn't have an undercover and I actually got a tailgate bedliner piece from an old full-size ford and cut it to make my own undercover, which i liked better than the stock one anyway.

some people take them off for various reasons, but having off-roaded before it really can keep water/mud out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can buy carpet underlay from an auto carpet source. This material looks to be the same stuff. You may need some new fasteners to attach to the plastic undercover. I think I would leave pad off. It just absorbs oil until it's soaked and then drips. Unless you're the odd duck w/o any leaks.

good luck

·
Registered
1998 Forester
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your answers. I will most likely leave it off. It has become a challenge for something so minor. Again thanks

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
You can buy carpet underlay from an auto carpet source. This material looks to be the same stuff. You may need some new fasteners to attach to the plastic undercover. I think I would leave pad off. It just absorbs oil until it's soaked and then drips. Unless you're the odd duck w/o any leaks.

good luck
I'm pretty sure its treated for heat too. I wouldn't just use plain carpet underlay. Mine disintegrated when I jumped a snow bank last winter, the undercover is definitely lighter now lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts