Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car has 144K miles. Doing rear brake job, EBC Rotors and Pads. Because of mileage and age of the car, I am considering just swapping the original calipers. The remanufactured cardone caliper I am looking at, P/N 19-2066 and 19-2067 has all the hardware included. Can someone refresh my memory if the slider pins are pressed on or bolted to, the bracket or the caliper assembly.

If bolted on, what is the torque specs for the slider pin bolt. I remember I have to torque the caliper bracket bolts, the caliper retaining bolts and the brake line banjo bolts.

Swapped the caliper last summer on a subaru OBW but I went with OEM bolt on unit with bracket.
(due to immediate need to get the car on the road same day)

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Forester S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Worked on the rear brakes this weekend.

Both rear pads have a very unusual wear on the outboard pads compared to the inboard. The outboard pads are almost worn down, but the inboard still have a long service life from what it looks, as if the outboard pads is doing most of the braking. I also noticed the driver side pads have another wear issue, seems like the mid section of the pad is worn down in the middle, that when you put the friction material of the set, face to face, look thru it as if it was wounted, you can see there is this concave wear in the middle.

Does any one have an insight of what these pad wear patterns indicate ? Is this normal.
This is my first time to replace the rear brake components of this car. Dealer service most of the time.

Well, rear brake job is done. New EBC rotors, EBC Ultimax brake pads. New rear caliper assemblies with bolt on unit from A1Cardone, the one with the included brackets, torqued bolts to spec, bleed the rear brake lines, lug nuts at 70 ft-lbs before I put the entire weight of the car. Hub cleaned with wire brush including the back of the wheel, brake dust washed with brake cleaner and air dried with compressed air. Looks like well done and right to me.

Drove to work today, raining in north NJ, took it easy, kept light foot on the brake. It had a grinding noise for about 1/4 of a mile when I first drove it, something that I have read here that maybe due to the parking brake shoes or could be the brake pads brake in compound working it's thing. It is on the EBC webpage that this coating will need about 200 miles to wear off. I also noticed that I have grinding noise on some right turns. Could this be a rear bearing showing signs of going bad or just re-settling in after the weight of the car was removed from it.

I will wait and see how it goes in the next 500 miles. So far, the brake response feels solid. Will start putting together parts for the front brakes.

And to answer my own question for future readers... The Slider pins are bolted down to the caliper by the caliper lock bolt. This is what you typically remove to swing up the caliper and get access to the brake pads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts