Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought a Forester S '98 model,5 speed.From time to time the engine stalls like somebody turned the ignition off. I am a new member from Windsor,Canada and i do not have a Subaru dealer in my city.Otherwise runs well.If i press the gas relly hard an play with the clutch i keep it run , bus sometimes just dies. After a minute starts back up without any problem.Thanks for help !!! I love my AWD !

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
jvcforester said:
Hi. I just bought a Forester S '98 model,5 speed.From time to time the engine stalls like somebody turned the ignition off. I am a new member from Windsor,Canada and i do not have a Subaru dealer in my city.Otherwise runs well.If i press the gas relly hard an play with the clutch i keep it run , bus sometimes just dies. After a minute starts back up without any problem.Thanks for help !!! I love my AWD !
Welcome jvc....you are correct, the closest dealer to you would be...

Glen Fenwick Subaru
835 Ontario Street
Sarnia, Ontario
phone: (519) 344-7473

e-mail: [email protected]

What is the service history on the car? Any idea when the last major tune up was done? Throttle body cleaning, injectors etc? Let's start with the basics first. ;-)

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
also check the vacuum hoses going between the intake manifold and the airbox. I had one pop off by accident a while ago, and the car wouldn't hold idle properly. If yours are just worn, or not sealing all that well, it might be a part of the problem.

Might be a good idea to check/clean the MAF and coil pack connections as well.

That being said, all of the above would not really happen, and then go away a minute later...

Any check engine lights?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. No check lights. When engine starts all check lights are OFF and the engine runs PERFECT. No hetitation or missfire.I checked the vacum hoses and are good. I replaced the air filter but still does it. Fells like no spark or no gas(one of two).I am inclined to belive is related to spark rather to fuel problem.Some time i will drive 2 or 3 days until happens again...It is a mistery... Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I was in service with the car and the mechanic said is fuel starvation or water in tank. He clean the intake but still the same problem. I did found something new: The car was parked and the engine was running. The engine start stalling and i could see BLACK SMOKE coming out of exaust when the problem occured. After that the RPM stabilized and went back to normal. Was like was flooded with gas... Maybe this info helps to solve the mystery of my Forester...Please help if you can !

Thanks !

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Could the fuel pump be on the verge of failing? What kind of fuel (brand) are you using? Stay clear of Petro Canada & Esso......they are loaded with high sulphur content PPM......Sunoco (and UPI) & Shell are the only brands that go in my tanks. :)

Have you done a 'major' tune up? :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the Idle Speed Control valve? Has anybody had any results with replacing it? They're expensive so I'd like to know before I change it.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
have you checked your plug wires?I had a problem like this on my old STI (cost me a turbo :( ) too much fuel will make black smoke, check your fuel pump conections do u hear any humming from the rear? could be your MAF sensor, if I think of anything I'll post
:eek:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Maybe a bottle of fuel injector cleaner or some other gas treatment

Was the car sitting idle on the lot for awhile before you bought it?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
If you haven't check the spark plug wires up at the coil pack (someone suggested earlier) it can get corroded in at the coil pack, if they are the original wires I say replace them. The OEM wires are best and they are not too expensive (check with Roo or Subie Gal)

It might even be worth checking out the coil itself:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IgnitionCoil.pdf

Check this out, it may need the Seafoam treatment :) :

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3909

It might not be a bad idea to replace the PCV Valve. I'm also suspecting the front 02 sensor. How has your MPGs been? When the front one starts to go the MPG's tend to go way down fast.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. Thanks guys for your input in helping solve the problem. I will check the resistance in coil pack. No corosion at all. Everything clean and like new.This car has a fuel regulator?The reason i ask because sometimes STALLS completly and i have to restart the cat with gas pedal FLOORED.When i release the gas pedal the engine starts.I will check the PCV valve as well...In this moment runs perfect and smooth.The coil pack can act one day o.k. and other time bad? I am working on it... Thanks again for help. Will be very good to solve the mistery. Maybe sombody else will need the same remedy later on...We ALL have SUBARU'S ...

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
Change the fuel filter as well... it's on the driver's side strut tower in the engine bay. Quick 5 minute swap.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
the regulator is on the pasenger side of the engine

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi. This morning it stopped copletly in the middle of intersection...After three atempts started but was on and off. I did found a silver box behind the air filter with two wires going in the box. Was VERY HOT. Anybody knows what that box does? I disconected the conector and was no change in engine running parameters. Runs smooth so i left the conector hanging. No light came on either... Supposed to be very hot?(the silver box). Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
i had a similar problem with a car but it wasnt the forester. my old 97 maxima use to stall for no reason, sometimes shoot out black smoke etc... turned out i kept getting wire breaks in my EGI harness. im not sure if thats your problem but a good way to test it out is to start the car and just start yanking at the harness to see if the engine stumbles or stalls. Also you have a 98 so first thing i would do is clean/check the MAF sensor. Sounds a lot like a dying MAF problem to me. Of course sometimes cleaning them causes more problems. Plus an incorrect MAF reading might throw off the air to fuel ratio causing black smoke. also im not sure if these cars have an egr valve but you might wanna check if thats sticking. ive only owned it for a few months now so maybe someone can fill me in

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys! I talked with the mechanic today and he said is the MAF(air flow meter???)and need to be replaced.Today was really bad and the catalitic convertr got really hot!A lot of hesitationand stalling and black smoke! The engine was sounding like a Folkswagen ... Can be right? He told me the MAF is shorting out internaly and need replacement... He works moustly on Japanese cars.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
well that was my first thought that came to me when you described the symptoms. ive had a few mafs go on my maxima and most of the symtoms were the same. do what i did and go to a junk yard....i picked one up for 20-30 bucks....better than paying over a hundred for a new one and then paying a mechanic to put it in only to find out that it didnt fix your problem

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi. The MAF is located on top of air filter?Thanks !

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
Welcome jvc....you are correct, the closest dealer to you would be...

Glen Fenwick Subaru
835 Ontario Street
Sarnia, Ontario
phone: (519) 344-7473

e-mail: [email protected]enfenwick.subarudealer.ca

What is the service history on the car? Any idea when the last major tune up was done? Throttle body cleaning, injectors etc? Let's start with the basics first. ;-)

The closest dealer (going by driving time)

Would be me :Banane29:

Just across the border and slightly north of Detroit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts