Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Manual
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so my forester has been down for a while now due to a bad throw out bearing. recently pulled the motor and did a bunch of much needed maintence. here is what was done and why

-new exdey clutch kit because of bad throw out bearing
-new factory weight fly wheel because of wear and hot spots on old flywheel
-rear main seal because of leak
-seperator plate because had the old style plastic on that was leaking
-fuel fliler because hadnt been changed sense i bought the car
-front o2 sensor would throw code for the heated curuit or slow response
-fuel pressure regulator repalced cause had new one laying around shop
-cleaned k and n filter
-oil change
-trans fluid change
-repaired ground wire to pcm instalation rubbed through at fire wall (replaced the whole section of wire with correct gauge all soldered and heat shrinked)
-intake manifold gaskets (pulled intake to repair wiring at ground on intake)
-cleaned throttle body and idle air control

so put it all back together and has a very rough idle (idle rpm is normal but rough) then when you get it out on the road seems underpowered and hesitates really bad when under a load but smoothes out at higher rpm

i have done this so far
-checked spark wires and plugs good spark on all cylinders
-inspected all vacuum hoses and checkec for intake leaks
-No codes

i am at a loss guys any one have any ideas? kinda thrustated with it at this point if i dont figure out soon may just have to bite the bullet and have it towed to subaru or see if turn in has any ideas
thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
1,322 Posts
HI,
No responses???

You sound more Mech-inclined than me, but here's my feedback:

So, it ran fine b4 all the work, correct?

Since it's idle related, what did you clean the IAC with? Did you mess w/the adjustment, take the whole part off to clean, or?

Did you clean the MAF sensor? Use MAF cleaner only, from what I've read.

Fuel injectors? You can disconnect them one by one to see if one is not working.

Swap the FPR back and/or check the fuel filter?

GL,
TD

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Manual
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,
No responses???

You sound more Mech-inclined than me, but here's my feedback:

So, it ran fine b4 all the work, correct?

Since it's idle related, what did you clean the IAC with? Did you mess w/the adjustment, take the whole part off to clean, or?

Did you clean the MAF sensor? Use MAF cleaner only, from what I've read.

Fuel injectors? You can disconnect them one by one to see if one is not working.

Swap the FPR back and/or check the fuel filter?

GL,
TD
it ran fine before i pulled it all apart but i found some wiring issues while i had the motor out which i had to take car of. i cleaned the iac after i put it all back together and was having issues with the idle just used some thottle body cleaner and a small swab

i have not cleaned maf at all and i am getting correct readings through my scan tool

i have swapped the old 02 sensor back into the car with no effect. and checked spark on all cylinders and ran a compression test on all cylinders to rule out the timing belt jumping.

i have been over the vacuum system on the car a few times with no faults found. so have kinda ruled out a ignition or air leak problem so moved onto fuel. fuel pressure is at spec at the motor. i have found that if i unplug injector 1 or 2 there is no change in idle (even if i unplug both), but if i unplug injector 3 and or 4 the motor will instantly die. so broke out the old noid light set and i am getting pulse on all 4 injector harnesses so leaning towards maybing have bad injectors on cylinder 1 and 2. going to break out the multimeter tomorrow and text the coils

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Automatic
20 Posts
I'm assuming you disconnected the battery to remove the engine... When you reconnected and started it for the first time, did you immediately try to give it gas and drive it around? I only ask because I've read you have to let the ecu relearn everything...

My brother replaced the battery on his 2000 forester, and after the first start he moved to car around my garage and was running like crap, missing, bogging, etc... After trouble shooting everything I could think of, I came across a post saying after reconnecting the battery start the engine and let it idle for about 10-20 mins for the ecu to relearn everything. Sure enough, after that his forester ran like it did before he decided to change out the battery...

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Manual
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys i took the forester into turn in concepts and they scoped out all the injectors and found that all the injectors were firing at once. the driver in my ECU for the injectors had failed so i have a new ecu on order

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Manual
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cause of the problem was bad drivers in the ecu for the injectors replaced ecu with a used on with matching numbers and car fired right up and things are back to normal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts