Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background which i have posted previously. Bought 1 owner 98 Forester out of state shipped to ny for winter driving. 78k in very good shape but did NOT pass NYS emissions inspection because rear wiring harness was chewed up by mice. Unable to send signals for emission tank evap etc. Anyway dealer ddidn't bs me as i saw it (van bortel subaru in victor NY). Reputable dealer.

Anyway was at their dealership 5 weeks ago. The said would order it and it would take 2-3 weeks. Called today, (2nd time) apparently communication not their strong suit.

Was told today there are NO rear harnesses in the US and that it doesn't look like they will get one until december or january. Are you &*)(*_*))(*$ kidding me? Does this make any sense at all?

I am soooooooo furious. Meanwhile my vehicle sits next to my garage and in upstate NY winter is coming soon. Any ideas boyz? girlz? Other than this vehicle is in great shape, runs great, all safety inspection is fine.

And NO there is absolutely NO way around this. IN NY your cars cpu port is connected to a cpu that goes to Albany.I even have a buddy thats a mechanic that would hook my up if it was possible but its not.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
I'll say the obvious, if you saw where the wires are eaten by mice, why not just put in a spliced repair? At least repair the one that is not allowing the reading to be sent to the computer.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll say the obvious, if you saw where the wires are eaten by mice, why not just put in a spliced repair? At least repair the one that is not allowing the reading to be sent to the computer.
The Obvious? You saw them too? :Banane36:

If it was that simple i would do it myself

Its a little more involved then this. entire group under rear/ rear seat area is frayed/ eaten.

·
Registered
06 Fxt
89 Posts
tried contacting junkyards for the harness...? i dunno about scooby but there's Toyota specific junkyards around that deal with nothing but Toyota stuff.. might be one for scoobys...? either way i think that would be your best bet if the dealer cant help

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i Appreciate the replies. Problem is I can't access enough of harness through cabin to get at chewed wires. I have emailed several used suppliers through internet and even subaru of america. Nothing back yet.

thanks

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Splice it. Or pay someone else to do it. Or just keep complaining. Your choice.

As for the access.... where is it chewed? Most of it is in-cabin - you just need to remove seats, carpet, and some foam parts (~1-2 hours).

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
I'd find a pick n pull and practice on the junkyard car. Start pulling out seats and carpets to find where the couplers go. When you get it out do the same on your own car, should be easy as you already have practice. Cost should be minimal at a pick n pull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts