Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks! My better half has a 98 forester that has started, very quickly, to have one awful noise coming from the rear end. At about 30kph you can hear it slightly, by 100kph it sounds like it's gonna blow up! I put the thing on jack stands all around and put it into 5th gear, running, same noise. I took off all the tires and tried again, nice and quiet. Put the tires back on same noise again! I checked the oil level in the rear diff and it's right where it should be and did'nt smell bad. Is this the sign of bad bearings? bad cv joint? The unit got about 270,000 km's on it.
Thanks to any advice I can get.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
maybe it's a wheel bearing and the extra load from the tires makes it sound worse?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
426 Posts
Wheel bearings would be my call. Mine made that noise both times before rear wheel bearings went out.

·
Registered
1998 S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with the local dealer yesterday,,, they figured wheel bearing as well,,, "if you're going to do one you might as well do both",,, $760.00 parts and labour!!
I asked if they would press out the old bearings and press in the new,,, they will for 1/2 hr labour,,, if I buy the parts from them too!! Sounds easier on the lootbag this way. Thanks for the feedback!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts