Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 98 forester and i need to take it in and get it smogged. My only problem is that the obd2 jack wont link to any obd2 scanner. I have a feeling that the guy I got it from might of pulled the fuse or relay or maybe even cut the ecu wire to it. Anyone have any advice? I already changed the fuse for the cig lighter. Still nothing. Anyone know were the relay is for it? :icon_question:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
This sounds weird. Maybe someone else reading this can confirm that a '98 will in fact connect to an OBD-II. When you say it won't link, do you connect it and it says '**LINKING**' but never connects? Or do you not get any display at all?

But assuming an OBD-II scanner should work with your '98:

(1) Does the plug you have physically connect properly?
(2) Are you turning the ignition key to the ON position (engine OFF)?
(3) Does the check engine light illuminate when you put the ignition key in the ON position (i.e. the bulb is not burned out or or disabled)?
(4) Why do you think the former owner may have sabotaged the connection?

The pin configurations for OBD-II are available. You could check for voltage at particular pin positions to make sure the socket is at least getting power.

It seems awfully egregious to sabotage the OBD-II connector. If you can establish that the previous owner did this to hide a malfunction with the car, you may have legal options you could pursue.

·
Registered
98 Forester S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scan tool says "Linking" but after about 60 seconds it says "Link Error".

The plug does connect properly and I am turning the key to the "on" position. However, the light does not illuminate when the ignition is in the "on" position which leads me to believe it has been tampered with. Considering there are many more problems with the car than the guy who sold it to me divulged to me, I wouldn't put cutting the OBD wire past him, you know?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts