Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 98 forester L back in November of 2013. I thought I had found a jem! body was straight and paint looked great with no major damage. And with only 117k miles on the clock 3300 sounded like an awesome deal! Little did i know This first impression was just a Mirage. While driving home from West Valley to Ogden Utah "About a 30 min drive" a loud pop came from the engine bay and started smoking. I was thinking maybe the radiator hose had popped off... nope hole in the radiator! "upon further investigation it had been patched with some POS putty/glue. So we ended up towing it home and replaced the radiator. I got it going after the radiator and it was amazing! i loved the car and the way it was unstoppable in the snow! but than I started having over-heating Problems after about 10 min of normal driving. I figured do the Thermostat cause its the easiest solution and cheapest fix to an over heating problem. But still would overheat. I did a bunch of re-search and diagnosed a head gasket problem. I have replaced them now and am having more serious problems now.
Now cylinders 3&4 are not firing.... help please!!! What should I do, I have spark and I know i am getting fuel to the cylinders as well..... not a master mechanic and am at a loss. please help. Thanks! :shrug:

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
That sounds like an ignition coil issue. Your Subaru has a waste spark system so Cylinders 1&2 get one coil and cylinders 3&4 get one coil.

The coil is probably cracked or is shorting out on the intake, it is extremely common. You can mist it with water to see where it is arcing/shorting at, I believe. I have never used that technique so I don't know all of the details on that technique.

Good luck on finding the issue! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like an ignition coil issue. Your Subaru has a waste spark system so Cylinders 1&2 get one coil and cylinders 3&4 get one coil.

The coil is probably cracked or is shorting out on the intake, it is extremely common. You can mist it with water to see where it is arcing/shorting at, I believe. I have never used that technique so I don't know all of the details on that technique.

Good luck on finding the issue! Keep us updated!
Would i still be getting spark with this happening? I am getting spark in those cylinders.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess i could give that a try.its not a very price fix. could it have been piched somewhere while i was doing head gaskets and all that possibly and that be the reason? it was firing fine before me whole tear down

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
1,322 Posts
U reply on your phone? :)

Hit the local Wrecking Yards for a used coil. It is the same as most any 1.8/2.2/2.5 Subie from '90+...if you find one that says 'Diamond' they're supposedly a bit better spark.

Td

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U reply on your phone? :)

Hit the local Wrecking Yards for a used coil. It is the same as most any 1.8/2.2/2.5 Subie from '90+...if you find one that says 'Diamond' they're supposedly a bit better spark.

Td
Yes i am normally on my Phone. i'll try the coil. I am super confused cause I am getting compression, spark and fuel. but it they are grounding before the spark pulg that would make sence

·
Registered
99 Forester L
93 Posts
A spark in free air is much different than a spark in the cylinder at the top of the compression stroke.

When you check the plug with the plug out of the engine, it is easier to jump the gap in clean air.

When the plug is in the cylinder, it's easier for the coil to short to ground through some leakage path.

I am not saying that is your problem, but that is the basics of checking a plug.

Bigger question here - Did cylinders 3 and 4 *ever* fire after you did the head gaskets? Or fire for a bit and then stop suddenly.

Did you get the timing belt right?

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I got my timing belt right, ANOTHER problem is that I dont think the timing was right on it in the first place. nothing was lining up before i took the belt off when i was tearing it apart. but i have a new timing belt that i put on and made sure to have ecerything linned up and correctly fitted. and no those cylinders have not fired since i have put it together

·
Registered
99 Forester L
93 Posts
Try doing a compression check just to verify that mechanically everything is in agreement.

Did you check the valve lash when you had the heads off? As the valvetrain wears on that engine it will hold the valves open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts