Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, apologies for the selfish newbie thread, but I have a quick question. I have a 98 Forester L (auto). 150K, seen some miles, has some wear. Long story short, blown head gasket $2K (dealer quote) to fix. It's been a great car, but I can't justify putting $2K back into it. So my question is, do you think I could get $1K for it, as-is? I know there are some other variables and I haven't explained much else about the car but I was hoping to just get some quick feedback. Thanks for your time!

PS, car does run. Overheating obviously, but other than the gaskets, everything has been maintained regularily and is good working order.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
A car with blown head gaskets is going to be a hard sell. Most shoppers would rather just get one that runs good. Potential buyer would be mechanic looking for a side job to make some money. Most casual buyers would rather find something that's simpler to fix. With a narrow market the asking price would probably be pretty low, maybe a bit more than what a junk yard would give.

I'd find a better mechanic that will fix it for cheaper, it's mainly labor costs as the parts are fairly cheap. Swapping in a low mileage newer motor is also a good option. Since you know the condition of the car, it's probably worth more to you than anyone else. Sadly the 98 is one of the tougher ones to change the gaskets on.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback... I guess the follow up question is... Anyone in LA wanna buy a 98 with a blown head gasket... cheap! =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts