Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98 subaru forester and I got stuck shortly in my backyard. The front tires dug in and spun but I hardly got any power to the rear. The vehicle drives fine on the road and I don't get any violent vibration as would probably be the case if it was not working at all. Also I was able to get out even after my front tires were buried deep in the mud. So I'm assuming I'm getting the 90% Front-10% Rear power but I'm not getting the 50%-50% I should have got when my front tires were spinning in the mud. Could this be a sensor problem? Anyone have a clue where I could receive information on this. I would definitely appreciate it.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
never had an auto. i think there's a solenoid that electrically controls a clutch-pack internal to the auto tranny that is supposed to get power to the rear when front is slipping.

also there's a FWD-only fuse that when inserted kills power to rear wheels. someone could have put this in.

try the "search" function too, it may get some useful info.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'll try going into second next time I have an issue. Yes, I've already checked the fuse box, it is the first thing I did and there is no fuse in the FWD slot and the FWD light is not on so that isn't the problem. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I put it on jack stands all around and went through all of the gears and I couldn't get the rear wheels to spin to save my life. The front wheels kept spinning and in the rear it was completely dead. Are there sensors that transfer power or anything? And, no, the FWD fuse is NOT in it. The driveshafts and differentials seem pretty solid, so I have no clue what is causing this issue.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
The MPT clutch pack could be worn out, or the transfer duty solenoid that controls it (located in the tail housing of the transmission). Could even be an issue with the front or rear speed sensor (on the transmission) as those are basically what tell it if its slipping.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
The MPT clutch pack could be worn out, or the transfer duty solenoid that controls it (located in the tail housing of the transmission). Could even be an issue with the front or rear speed sensor (on the transmission) as those are basically what tell it if its slipping.
Yeah, they should definitely be moving at least slowly.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its the transfer duty solenoid. I'll work on it in the next few weeks when I have the time and money to do so. I'll post what caused this issue so later someone who also has this issue will hopefully have a reference to this issue.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
All wheels of the ground you should have had the rears get power for sure as soon as the fronts spun up.
Soleniod would be my guess as well.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I should know what the problem with this awd system is by Monday. I know its been taking me a while but between school and fixing everything else on the forester has been keeping me busy. So far, within a month of owning it I've personally replaced both outer tie-rod ends, driver-side inner tie-rod. Driver-side CV axle. Rear passenger-side hub assembly (An old subbie with a bad wheel bearing, surprised right? lol). My forester is becoming a new car part by part and I'm getting to know more about this generation Subaru than I would like to.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out it was the clutch pack. Scored a clutch pack and solenoid together for $60. Next thing I plan on doing is getting some skid plates it.

·
Registered
98 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well actually it was the MPT clutch pack drum. I found this out by tearing the tail-end of my transmission apart then finding my drum cracked off of the shaft. After having that out I ended up replacing the whole tail-end of the transmission, including the clutch pack and the solenoid and all. I'll probably end up replacing the whole transmission by the end of summer, the tranny fluid was black as used oil, obviously the previous owner(s) beat the crap out of this transmission and never (or rarely) changed the transmission fluid (it had 170k miles on it when I got it). Won't be a big deal the transmission will cost me around $600. I'm going to be putting a lot of work into my foz this summer, including a 2 1/2" lift, offroad bumpers, and I'm restoring the body completely. She has minor dents here and there and paint chips. So I'm going to pull all the dents sand her down and blast her. I'll post some before/after pictures in a separate thread when I get around to it. I wish I would've taken pics of the tail end of the transmission so I could have shown everyone, feh oh well it is down for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts