Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Minnesota and about 4-5 days ago we got our winter (snow)...it was below 4 if I'm correct. I drove it, got about 1/4 of the way to work and the temp gauge starts creeping up. I exit off the highway, turned the engine off for a while, check the coolant and it was low...filled her up again and drove it for less than 5 minutes the gauge needle starts to creep again...

I got a new radiator thinking it might be leaking somewhere due to some air in the system for some reason... installed new radiator, filled her up with peak coolant, bleed so no air...--> still the same...coolant gone...I check the oil and there is nothing mixed with it....It's winter so I don't know if there is coolant leak into the cylinder or not..can't tell...

THERE IS NO LEAK OR COOLANT DRIPPING FROM THE CAR AT ALL.

help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
How many miles on the car? Especially if over 100,000 miles it is likely to be the head gaskets.

Did you replace the thermostat while you had the radiator out (a $20 part)?

There is a lot of information elsewhere on this forum about other tests for head gasket failure. (e.g. Warm the car up and look in the reservoir for bubbles.)

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
32 Posts
No visible coolant leak? No coolant smell? But the coolant disappears and then the car overheats = internal head gasket failure. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
Also I believe you can possibly look under the oil fill cap, and see if there is a whitish residue under the cap...not sure if that would show up if it only went into the cylinders. Sorry about this!

·
Registered
98 forester
19 Posts
This is my first scooby and second post, so excuse me if it's in the wrong area. I have the same issue with evaporating coolant. I presently have 255K on the car, and the heads were replaced at 248K when I purchased it in July. For the past two months, it has made a loud clicking (like a sewing machine) at idle and acceleration. Since the heads were done, coolant has evaporated-I have no knowledge of its prior behavior. This past Thursday, the temp gauge crept up to about 3/4 of the way to red, so I shut it off, let it cool, pulled out my flashlight, and to my horror found that the radiator was only about 1/3 full.
Could this be a sign the new heads have also failed? I don't plan on doing that again-if they have failed, I will be selling it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
There is a good chance that who ever did the HG/head install did a poor job. If this was done at a shop there is a chance there may be a warranty on the work. Subaru dealers typically have a 12 month/12K mile warranty.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
If the HG are leaking, mill them, check the block for flatness reassemble with new gaskets and move on. Were the valve clearances ever checked when it was put back together?

·
Registered
98 forester
19 Posts
I really don't know. This engine is totally different from anything I've ever dealt with, and I know nothing about it. I had a honda that had heads put in and it never gave me another day's grief. This is way too soon to be having issues again. I do know a new water pump was installed, and someone had put stop leak in it which the "mechanic" said was pretty bad. I keep an eye on the oil and that looks normal and there's no strange residue that I can find in any of the fluids. The check engine light has always been on-says the knock sensor is bad. But would that stop the clicking? Before I have the engine torn down again, I am wondering what my chances are with it. Should I just cut my losses and sell it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts