Alignment - 100.
Labor - 356.

Should I seek out a different mechanic?

Dealer quoted me 1300!

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
Yes, those KYB Struts are 75ish each from Rockauto, they are charging you 100% markup on parts, which is not cool....IMO. My mechanic charges no markup on parts, mostly because I bring the parts to him lol.

PS there are Bilsteins available now for the SJ's...I would opt for those over KYBs based on personal experience. B6 would be my pick.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
Also, strongly recommend matching struts front and rear. Sucks paying the additional costs but balanced that way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed with @Scooby24. I'd reccomend Bilstein B6 if you need better rebound/compression control.
$134 for one front and $97 for one rear.
They come in both B4 which is equivalent to KYB and B6 which is better.

$356 I believe is book-price. I was quoted ~$740 for all around. You can try to negotiate the price down but shop around for pricing.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
180 Posts
I have replaced shocks on 4 different cars that I've owned over the years. It typically takes me most of a day in my garage assuming I take my time and don't break anything along the way (i.e. ABS sensor or wires). Compressing springs is a total pain! I do these types of jobs when the weather is nice and I have the time; otherwise I send to the shop. $356 sounds very reasonable to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have replaced shocks on 4 different cars that I've owned over the years. It typically takes me most of a day in my garage assuming I take my time and don't break anything along the way (i.e. ABS sensor or wires). Compressing springs is a total pain! I do these types of jobs when the weather is nice and I have the time; otherwise I send to the shop. $356 sounds very reasonable to me.
Agreed. This is my 2nd time working on the suspension and it took me total of 7 hours split in two days working on front and rear axles. This included fumbling around, with floor jack stands and hand tools. The Forester struts are relatively generic or simple to work on.

At the shop with lift and power tool will take less time so you can try to negotiate to pay them by the hours rather than full book price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts