Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, long time forum member ... mostly lurking. But I'm in the process of buying my second Subaru Forester ... a 2020 Touring. In fact, I put a deposit down before virus got bad!

I live in Illinois. In early March, I put a deposit down on a Forester "in transit" after making a deal at a Wisconsin dealer. Great deal with $500 Loyalty and $750 Chase coupons.

Vehicle was supposed to be delivered to dealer on March 18th. It was delayed.

Illinois Governor issued a Stay-At-Home order on March 20th ... with order through April 7th. And of course, Wisconsin dealer called and said Forester was delivered to their lot a couple of days later.

I told the dealer I couldn't leave Illinois and drive to Wisconsin to pay the balance (I put down a $500 deposit) and drive home the Forester. Dealer said no problem, they would mark car "sold" and put on back lot.

A few days later, Dealer called and asked if I could get up there before the end of the month .... obviously wanted to close deal by then.

I said I couldn't. In a voice mail later, the dealer said the $750 Chase coupon ends 3/31.

A couple of days later, the Wisconsin governor issued a stay at home order through the end of April.

I don't know when the heck I'll be able to close the deal ... which of course, is required for dealer to collect Loyalty and long after Chase coupon expires.

Interestingly enough, the Illinois stay-at-home order told dealers they had to close their showrooms. Wisconsin's stay-at-home order allows dealer show rooms to stay open.

It's not the dealer's fault. It's not my fault. It's not Subaru's fault. It's not Chase's fault.

But hey, it sucks that it appears I'll have to pay more for the car. Thanks for letting me vent.

Stay healthy.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
237 Posts
The stay at home rules are voluntary (though highly recommended!) You are not quarantined by enforceable order of law. You can travel freely between states as granted by your constitutional rights.

Maintain your social distancing, bring sanitizer products and maybe your own lunch...

Good Luck - Keep America Rolling! (safely)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I plan on asking Subaru customer service about it today. Also curious whether Chase will extend. Or maybe Subaru will put a rebate on Foresters in April.

I realize my husband and I wouldn't get arrested if we drove to Wisconsin during the stay-at-home. However the Dealer's Wisconsin county has 10 times the confirmed cases as my Illinois county. So it is a concern.

I'll post what I find from Subaru and Chase in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subaru told me to contact Chase about the issue.
Please let me know what Chase says! Hopefully they will extend existing certificates. I cut a deal with the dealer including the $750 certificate before the stay at home order was issued! Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealers out here are delivering cars. You can buy them without ever visiting a showroom.
Understand that .... but I'm in Illinos and dealer is in Wisconsin ... 200 miles or so away. Delivery not an option.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
237 Posts
Understand that .... but I'm in Illinos and dealer is in Wisconsin ... 200 miles or so away. Delivery not an option.
My friend, who manages a dealership, just delivered one from Cincinnati, Ohio to east of Albany, New York! Earlier one to north of Indianapolis. His motto - ANYTHING for a sale (Especially in these times!)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
162 Posts
Really?

Put on a mask, get in your car and drive to the freaking dealer in Wisconsin. Or don't put on a mask since you'll be just fine doing the socially distancing thing with only you in the car.

You gotta be kidding me. Think dude.

All these "shelter in place" orders are, for the most part, totally unconstitutional. Unless marshal law is declared nobody can force you to stay in your home like you're under house arrest.

And most of these "orders" have exceptions for "essential needs". Well, *** is an "essential need"? I know that if my car were sitting in a dealer's showroom up in Cheesehead Land, you damn well better believe that would be an "essential need" for me.

So are the Illinois "staties" running road blocks checking for "essential need" road trips?

I think not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The stay at home rules are voluntary (though highly recommended!) You are not quarantined by enforceable order of law. You can travel freely between states as granted by your constitutional rights.

Maintain your social distancing, bring sanitizer products and maybe your own lunch...

Good Luck - Keep America Rolling! (safely)
Exactly - I'd pursue the fact that these ALL are unforeseen circumstances for which you have zero control and tell them the feds are making allowances for all sorts of things, why can't they?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I plan on asking Subaru customer service about it today. Also curious whether Chase will extend. Or maybe Subaru will put a rebate on Foresters in April.

I realize my husband and I wouldn't get arrested if we drove to Wisconsin during the stay-at-home. However the Dealer's Wisconsin county has 10 times the confirmed cases as my Illinois county. So it is a concern.

I'll post what I find from Subaru and Chase in the next couple of days.
Learn to keep your hands away from your face, that's 75% of the battle according to experts I watch and listen to daily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really?

Put on a mask, get in your car and drive to the freaking dealer in Wisconsin. Or don't put on a mask since you'll be just fine doing the socially distancing thing with only you in the car.

You gotta be kidding me. Think dude.

All these "shelter in place" orders are, for the most part, totally unconstitutional. Unless marshal law is declared nobody can force you to stay in your home like you're under house arrest.

And most of these "orders" have exceptions for "essential needs". Well, *** is an "essential need"? I know that if my car were sitting in a dealer's showroom up in Cheesehead Land, you damn well better believe that would be an "essential need" for me.

So are the Illinois "staties" running road blocks checking for "essential need" road trips?

I think not.
There are states that have lanes set up and if you are from a state other than that one, they turn you around and send you away. It is happening especially in FL and several NE states. Arrive traveling east on I-10 to the panhandle and they turn you around.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS 4EAT
23 Posts
There are states that have lanes set up and if you are from a state other than that one, they turn you around and send you away. It is happening especially in FL and several NE states. Arrive traveling east on I-10 to the panhandle and they turn you around.
That's what back roads are for. They can't possibly block them all. Get creative with Google Maps. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, long time forum member ... mostly lurking. But I'm in the process of buying my second Subaru Forester ... a 2020 Touring. In fact, I put a deposit down before virus got bad!

I live in Illinois. In early March, I put a deposit down on a Forester "in transit" after making a deal at a Wisconsin dealer. Great deal with $500 Loyalty and $750 Chase coupons.

Vehicle was supposed to be delivered to dealer on March 18th. It was delayed.

Illinois Governor issued a Stay-At-Home order on March 20th ... with order through April 7th. And of course, Wisconsin dealer called and said Forester was delivered to their lot a couple of days later.

I told the dealer I couldn't leave Illinois and drive to Wisconsin to pay the balance (I put down a $500 deposit) and drive home the Forester. Dealer said no problem, they would mark car "sold" and put on back lot.

A few days later, Dealer called and asked if I could get up there before the end of the month .... obviously wanted to close deal by then.

I said I couldn't. In a voice mail later, the dealer said the $750 Chase coupon ends 3/31.

A couple of days later, the Wisconsin governor issued a stay at home order through the end of April.

I don't know when the heck I'll be able to close the deal ... which of course, is required for dealer to collect Loyalty and long after Chase coupon expires.

Interestingly enough, the Illinois stay-at-home order told dealers they had to close their showrooms. Wisconsin's stay-at-home order allows dealer show rooms to stay open.

It's not the dealer's fault. It's not my fault. It's not Subaru's fault. It's not Chase's fault.

But hey, it sucks that it appears I'll have to pay more for the car. Thanks for letting me vent.

Stay healthy.
I live in Illinois and have visited the dealer twice since the "Stay at Home " order was in effect. My excuse was, the Forester was recalled (NHTSA) due to a potential PCV valve failure. The recall was worded in a way that suggested there was a safety issue that might cause the car to stall in traffic.
During both visits, the sales floor was open. While I was waiting for the service to be completed, I was walking around the cars on display, and a salesman approached me.
There are so many exceptions to the "Stay at Home" order. You can drive to the store to buy food. You can drive to a restaurant to accept curbside delivery of food. You can even drive to the liquor store.
I say, go to the dealer to pick up your new Forester

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,019 Posts
There are so many exceptions to the "Stay at Home" order. You can drive to the store to buy food. You can drive to a restaurant to accept curbside delivery of food. You can even drive to the liquor store.
I say, go to the dealer to pick up your new Forester
Have them deliver it to your home. Let it sit for three days before you touch it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all the responses.

I was talking with a friend of ours who lives in Illinois and owns a cabin in Wisconsin. He said that he, as well as others, have been notified by Wisconsin NOT TO COME up during the stay at home order. Not sure who and how they were contacted or how such an order would be enforced. I know some states are instructing state police to stop out-of-state cars.

I think the assumption of driving an Illinois plated car into Wisconsin would be that we're from Chicago (which is getting hammered). We're not. Another thing that is concerning is the dealership's county now has 10 times the amount of confirmed cases as our Illinois county.

Despite that, we are eager to take delivery if we see light at the end of the tunnel ... or, in the case, a leveling off of the number of cases.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, since the governors in Illinois (my state) and Wisconsin (where our selling dealer was located) both extended the STAY-AT-HOME order until the end of May, we decided the ignore the government's sage wisdom and go get the car.

Happy to report that our original deal was honored. We received $1250 credit for both Loyalty and the expired Chase coupons on top of a great deal for the car!

I had called Subaru customer service prior to March 31 expiration date on the Chase coupon. (As recommended above.) The agent assured me that they would make it right .... and they did.

I think the biggest reason the Chase discount was honored was we had negotiated a price and put down a deposit on an "In Transit" Forester ... and I had contacted Subaru to inform them of the pending deal prior to the expiration date.

Which is why we are repeat Subaru buyers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts