Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased a GPS unit from Costco, Megellan 1700, 7" screen.

After I got home I whipped up a stand as a way of mounting the portable GPS in the vehicle. The power cord plugs into the bottom of the GPS. The wood used needed a hole for the plug to fit though, also the wood needed to be notched for the plug to fit. I think it would be to much work to curve the bottom of the wood to fit snug to the top of the console. Note the elevated edges of the wood.

The vehicle power adapter behind the GPS is not usable with the GPS in place

There is a recess in the dash that holds the top of GPS in place. Temporally I stuck a button I already happened to have on the console to keep the wood base from sliding forward. I used a 1/8" thick wood strip which fits into a 1/8" grove. The strip keeps the bottom of the GPS in place. Removing the thin wood strip makes it easy to slide the GPS on and off the wood base.
I will probably extend back the wood and then attach it with Velcro, then the button can be removed from the console.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm going to play around a bit more with the mounting. I purchased a second GPS for my wife, we both drive 09 Foresters.

Later I will post better pictures. I wasn't finished with the mount in the picture. Now it has become a prototype. I made some strips to fit the curvature of the console, the finished product will be close to fitting flush with the console. I'm not going to spend a great deal of time on this so it won't be a perfect fit, just something functional that will look nice.

The GPS is a great fit width wise. It's just a bit shorter than the opening which works out fine since the power plug attaches to the bottom of the unit.

I thought there might be some interest in this GPS unit due to how well it fits, having a huge 7" screen.

I'm using scrap wood as a mount which could be painted to match the factory colors. Then the GPS would almost look like a factory install.

I will remove GPS when it's not needed or when the vehicle is parked. So I want something that won't be hassle to use.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How it works in remote locations I don't know. I would think it probably work better mounted on the windshield.

In California it's to big to mount on a windshield. Due to it's large size I would think mounting locations would be limited in a lot small vehicles. With such a large screen it's probably better suited for large trucks or RV's.

I had decided on that location for the GPS before my purchase. If that location didn't work out I most likely would have exchanged it for a smaller unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts