Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Forester with a U-haul hitch. I recently had them install a 7 pin connector for my trailer with electric brakes. They did not install it facing forward, but sideways instead. Their explaination was that if the put in forward it would hang too low.

Does anyone else have this problem, or should I go back to U haul and complain. It's a PIA to hook up the plug.

Allie

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I have a 2009 Forester with a U-haul hitch. I recently had them install a 7 pin connector for my trailer with electric brakes. They did not install it facing forward, but sideways instead. Their explaination was that if the put in forward it would hang too low.

Does anyone else have this problem, or should I go back to U haul and complain. It's a PIA to hook up the plug.

Allie
If you don't like it, I would certainly go back and nicely complain. It's your money, your car, and you are the customer! Be sure to clearly describe or show how it is an issue for you . It would be nice if anyone here with 2009+ and a 7-pin would post pics of their setup. Did you search and/or browse any?

My guess is U-haul went with 7-pin because they just had that and 4-pin. You probably don't need a 7-pin, although I would say the contacts are bigger and can handle more current and less likely to have contact problems due to corrosion.

I chose a 6-pin for my setup b/c it had the contact for the brakes and 1 extra if I decided to install a battery on my popup or even reverse lights (I went ahead and wired "hot" on the vehicle side). I don't tow enough to want the possibility of both and the 6-pin is appreciably smaller than the 7-pin. Mine has both 4-pin and 6-pin connections without bothering with adapters. I looked but couldn't find pic online. The 6-pin hangs down noticeably less than the 7-pin, probably 3/4" less or so, enough that it is even with the bottom of the hitch. I have drug the hitch a time or two and was glad the connector wasn't sticking down farther where it could have been pulled off.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhaul hitch 7 pin connector

I will have to go back and see if there is anything that can be done. Thought I would post here first to see if anyone else had that problem, or if they had it done correctly. Then, if Uhaul said that's the only way it could be done and blow me off, then I could point to someone else and say "See!!".

It needs to be a 7 Pin because of the type of trailer that I have.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts