Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 forester can you change just the trans over to the 6 speed for the forester without having to change much,or is a big process.Been thinking about if I would like to have a 6speed in my forester and whether it would help with my fuel mileage.Car really feels like it could use another gear when out cruising.How hard is it changing the forester over to a six speed.Figured it wouldn't be too hard being it shares alot of components with impreza and shares the platform with it too.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It would not be worth the cost putting an STi transmission in an N/A car, the cost of it can buy you alooot of gas. Turbo cars upgrade to 6-speed due to their strength and being able to stay on the powerband better. Your car would also weigh more and get worse mileage because of that.

I get 24MPG on long freeway trips at 75-80 MPH in my XT, not sure it'd be too much better with a 6-speed. Also, to get taller 6th gear you'd have to do something similar to what Mike did with the Legacy Spec B transmission, STi's 6th gear isn't much taller than ours.

Stan

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Trans, starter, prop, trans mount, rear diff, rear shafts, rear hubs, front brakes to match new brakes on new rear hubs. About $4500 min, that's a LOT of gas!

If you want taller gearing, use a suitable Impreza 5MT trans and rear diff.

Simon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts