Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit on a forester.

It here :
6 Gun Racing - Subaru Racing Products and Services
listed as "05 STi 5x100 Front Hub Conversion Kit with Custom Knuckles for WRXs and STis "

Basically 05 sti front hubs and knuckles remachined for 5x100 and pre-05 front struts. I'll be replacing my control arms soon along with all bushings and balljoints etc. I need a new wheel bearing on one side and probably on the other side soon, which would cost me 400-500 per side. The 6gun kit includes the bolt on wheel stronger wheel bearings and nice new knuckles (i doubt that my balljoints will come out of my oem knuckles easily, 120,000 miles of salt and abuse!) for about $850. So for about the same price as replacing both front wheel bearings I get whole new knuckles and hubs with the stronger, easier to replace wheel bearings.

However, i believe the hubs and wheel bearings come as one unit, in which case I would have to always get new wheel bearings with the hubs machined through 6gun. The site says that fitment for the forester is coming soon, however I feel like ones taht would fit the WRX should fit the FXT fine.

I currently have wrx suspension, have sti al control arms ready to go on, and hopefully will have new axles and STI steering rack to go on at the same time (so I can basically bolt on the axles, knuckles, control arms etc at the same time).

Also with all of this, should I also be running a roll center kit? Has anyone run a roll center kit (ball joint extenders and extended tie rods) with 16" wheels? Looks like the bottom of the control arm would be getting close to the bottom of the rim.

Any experience or suggestions are welcome. Trying to get the car ready for some heavy abuse this winter lol, I want the car to handle well, however overall durability is more important than handling.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but they do have some interesting products. If I was going to spend that much, I'd get the 5x114 conversion for a bit more just so I would have more options on wheels.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer your questions, but they do have some interestign productions. If I was goign to spend that much, I'd get the 5x114 conversion for a bit more just so I would have more options on wheels.
Want to stay with 5x100, don't really want to get new wheels or anything, also 5x114 means brembos, 17"+ wheels etc. I need the ability to continue running my 16" winter setup and I don't want to have to do a rear conversion as well. Also this will only be in the front, mostly because I will likely need to replace the knuckles anyway when i put the new control arms in and I would like the stronger wheel bearings as I do abuse the forester quite heavily , especially on dirt roads and in the snow.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Want to stay with 5x100, don't really want to get new wheels or anything, also 5x114 means brembos, 17"+ wheels etc. I need the ability to continue running my 16" winter setup and I don't want to have to do a rear conversion as well. Also this will only be in the front, mostly because I will likely need to replace the knuckles anyway when i put the new control arms in and I would like the stronger wheel bearings as I do abuse the forester quite heavily , especially on dirt roads and in the snow.
It is totally undstandable. When you factor in new front struts, rotors (mayeb brakes) and all new wheels, it isn't a cheap swap.

Are the 05+ Sti hubs that much stronger to warrant the price? If so, might as well do it.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is totally undstandable. When you factor in new front struts, rotors (mayeb brakes) and all new wheels, it isn't a cheap swap.

Are the 05+ Sti hubs that much stronger to warrant the price? If so, might as well do it.
Well replacing both front wheel bearings would cost me around 800-1000. The 6gun kit replaces the knuckles wheel bearings hubs etc for a little over 800. Cost wise its a wash. However, the 05+ knuckles use bolt on instead of press in bearings which also happen to be stronger than the older style. This would allow for replacement of the wheel bearings without a press or hubshark type setup in my garage. However the downside to this is that I would have to get the hub/wheel bearings machined for 5x100 either through 6gun or get them machined myself.

However I'm not 100% sure on the fitment. Would the speedo adapter gear thing work correctly on the forester? Has anyone used one of these kits on a forester before?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Are you going to install them yourself? You should be able to get somes used hub/knuckles for $250 tops. Probably the cheapest and easiest route to go.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to install them yourself? You should be able to get somes used hub/knuckles for $250 tops. Probably the cheapest and easiest route to go.
If i got used hubs, I would stillw ant to replace the wheel bearings in them (although its much cheaper off the car), but then I would still have pressed in bearings and used parts. The STI conversion would allow me to get a decent amount of mileage, and when replacement bearings are needed it would be an easy swap in the garage instead of needing extra tools or a press.

Basically, used knuckles with new bearings is my default choice, but if this sti kit would work well, it ends up being about the same price overall. However I might end up just doing the one wheel bearing and axle for now as the vibes are starting to get pretty bad (long sweeping right turns on the highway make the car feel like its going to fall apart).

Also side question, which front axles are compatible with an 04 XT 4eat? Are 4eat and 5mt axles different? Does anyone for example; DSS ;make upgraded front axles? (although they're probably way out of my price range)

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
also 5x114 means brembos, 17"+ wheels etc.

No it doesn't. My buddy with an 06 STi runs 4 pots in the winter on 15 inch wheels. That kit looks interesting, I may very well go that route as well when the bearings wear out. At least I'm in a good spot in that my track wheels are are dual bolt pattern.

You've burnt through bearings already ?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it doesn't. My buddy with an 06 STi runs 4 pots in the winter on 15 inch wheels. That kit looks interesting, I may very well go that route as well when the bearings wear out. At least I'm in a good spot in that my track wheels are are dual bolt pattern.

You've burnt through bearings already ?
Front left bearing is starting to make noise and RR has already been replaced (although not relevent to this), I'd expect to replace wheel bearings at least 1 or 2 more times in the life of the car. I drive my car VERY hard, but not in any competitive manner, so I want parts that will stand up to the abuse I put it through. I honestly can't believe my forester is still in one piece after some of the things its been through (keeping up with RS4's in the snow drifting every winter and when stock, following 5"+ lifted wranglers offroad).

Would this kit even fit my front axles? Not sure if the sti uses different spline count axles or anything.

I think I'm going to go with the 6gun kit if I can scrounge the money together. Might as well try it since it seems no one has run the kit on a forester yet.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,093 Posts
Even though their website is still up, 6gun has not updated their blog/news section in a few years.

Last time I did a search on their history, I found customer complaints about product failures on their ball joint extension kits, one set of which I own.

The owner has been very difficult to contact.

It would behoove anyone to try and contact 6gun first before placing an order.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even though their website is still up, 6gun has not updated their blog/news section in a few years.

Last time I did a search on their history, I found customer complaints about product failures on their ball joint extension kits, one set of which I own.

The owner has been very difficult to contact.

It would behoove anyone to try and contact 6gun first before placing an order.
Yeah a local member had some issues with them not fully machining the 5x100 kit to fit the standard wrx/forester rotors. I was hoping someone had actually used this kit so I could find any potential issues. I believe they redesigned their BJE, however I'll most likely run the whiteline rollcenter kit if I go that route.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,093 Posts
Yeah a local member had some issues with them not fully machining the 5x100 kit to fit the standard wrx/forester rotors. I was hoping someone had actually used this kit so I could find any potential issues. I believe they redesigned their BJE, however I'll most likely run the whiteline rollcenter kit if I go that route.
I have the redesigned version, but I'm still on the line on whether I should run it. There have been failures as well with the ver. 2 BJE as well. Right now it's a nice looking $400 paper weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts