Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

'69 Camaro vs '18 Forester XT

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DoubleDingo 
#1 ·
I owned a 306 225 HP 4 speed Camaro.

My Forester weighed 50% more , gets 50% better mileage, the engine is only 40% as big....yet it would easily beat the camaro in the 1/4 mile.

What a difference 50 years makes!!!

#2 ·
If that is the block I'm thinking of that is used in historic racing circles, that engine is good for a lot more than 225HP - That engine isn't stressed so will last forever with pretty low revs.

I suspect your modern Subaru engine will require far more love and maintanence to keep running in 50 years time compared to that old V8 ;)

#5 ·
You may be thinking of the 302 which was bored out to 327 and 350 cubic inch. The 307 was merely a stroked '283. The 307 was junk and faded away in a few years....the '327 and '350 not so much:wink2:

But yea with the 2.0 lasting 50 years...not so much. But as I have the 2.0 FA has been one of Ward's top 10 engines 3 times since 2011.

#6 ·
My XT is fast, handles well, and stops on a dime. Roomy, fairly comfortable, AWD and over 300hp with 28mpg.

My '85 RX-7 is slower (in a straight line), takes longer to brake, has no power windows or steering, no AC, no ABS, and no darned soul-sucking CVT. And it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun to drive at any speed.

One is great for moving my groceries and family, while the other is great for moving my heart and soul.

Attachments

#8 ·
My daily driver is a 2014 Forester 4 banger 6 speed. I also have a 69 Camaro Z28. The driving experience is totally different between the two where driving the Camaro is a lot more fun, but only when the weather is dry. I've only been on snow with the Camaro once and it was scary, never to be repeated again. For my day to day driving in any weather, of course the Subaru is the logical choice.
My silver Forester is a generic SUV and I have often walked up to what I thought was my Forester, only to discover it was some other generic SUV, be it a BMW, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc. Typically when I drive the Camaro there is always someone asking me to roll down (literally roll down) the window to ask about the car or give me a thumbs up.
Bottom line comparing a Subaru with a classic Camaro does not make sense. They are two different animals each with their own driving experience.
ColoradoZ28

#11 ·
It is amazing. I have a '65 Chevy 3/4 ton fleetside that I have added power disc brakes to. I bought it in 2015 mainly stock and have upgraded a few things since then. It gets about 13 mpg on the highway, and it is fun to drive. The Forester is my run-through-twisties-car, and it goes camping too. But I prefer the truck over the car for most things, even long trips because it is extremely reliable due to its simplicity. In 2017 I tore down the top of the engine, had a set of heads redone, replaced the cam, timing set, and resealed the engine. Slapped it all back together, broke in the cam, drove it around town for about an hour, fixed any leaks that appeared, made a couple adjustments to the timing and carburetor, changed the oil, loaded it up with gear and the dogs and set off to Texas. Yes, a 3,000 mile road test. I normally wouldn't do that, but I was getting married, the truck was the only thing I had that would tow my wife-to-be's car back, and it did great. But the seat needs to be redone for sure.

A modern car you usually need a scanning tool, and have to track down issues and there is still a chance of something not being right. Yes, they are reliable too, but finding annoying issues is not always as easy. The old truck, I carry an extra set of headlights, a coil, spark plugs wires, ignition control module (I swapped in HEI), and some extra fluids. It doesn't burn oil, doesn't overheat, has been many 1,000+- mile trips since I've bought it, and it just keeps chugging along without complaint. The fuel bill is higher, it takes a few minutes longer to get there, but people love the truck. We get thumbs-up all the time. You don't get thumbs-up driving a Forester.

I love my fleet, the variety is great.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.