Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to pick up an '05 XT (whooOO!!!HOOO!!!) with a tick over 60k on the meter. I dropped my offer because I know I'll want to get the 60k service done, but since this is my first turbo'd vehicle, what kind of work and cost should I expect to have done for the 60k?

I currently own 2 Subies, an '97 Legacy GT and '01 Outback, and am super stoked to add this XT beast to the bunch. Already have tbe, AP, and some others lined up to buy!

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
expect a rapeing from the stealership, they wanted something like $700-800 for the service. What they will do is the usual inspections/fluid changes. In addition they will change your plugs, change your accessory belts, cabin and engine air filters and "change your fuel filter" although i dont think that applies to turbo foresters (since its in tank)

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
expect a rapeing from the stealership, they wanted something like $700-800 for the service. What they will do is the usual inspections/fluid changes. In addition they will change your plugs, change your accessory belts, cabin and engine air filters and "change your fuel filter" although i dont think that applies to turbo foresters (since its in tank)
I did all of mine myself and saved over half of what Subaru wanted. I changed my plugs, oil, transmission/front diff fluid (manual), rear diff fluid, put in a new battery (still had the original in it), fuel filter (04 xt's have it under the hood, i think they went in tank in 05 or 06) and checked all the belts, brakes (still need to put new pads and rotors on it). I'm probably missing a few things.

Here is the 60k for my 04:
Maintenance Details

Interval: 60000 miles / 60 month service
Action Description
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Replace Spark plugs
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Recommended Inspection Front and rear wheel bearing lubricant
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

You can log onto Subaru's website and check it through the "MySubaru" section. It's a vehicle specific section that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Subaru mechanic, non-dealership and is striclty Subaru with good reputation, quoted me at $700. I have never had this type of service done, but for this price I should definitely expect a timing belt change, complete fluid change, new plugs, & cabin and air filters?

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,263 Posts
They will do work that you can do yourself in half a day for 20 times the cost.

Honestly..change all the fluids/filters and call it a day.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not too interested in doign a timing belt replacement myself, but the rest I can do no prob. Is a timing belt repalcement recommended as early as 60k?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
I'm not too interested in doign a timing belt replacement myself, but the rest I can do no prob. Is a timing belt repalcement recommended as early as 60k?
It should be inspected, but replacement is usually around 100k.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,263 Posts
$700 is steep ($500 is more like it) but changing the plugs and brake fluid along with everything else isn't going to take anyone a couple of hours the first time at least.
I assume you meant that changing plugs with everything else will take more than a couple hours. And I certainly agree with that. Plugs can take several hours depending......

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,660 Posts
I'm going to suby specialties for my 60k service next week. I'm also gonna finally get my swifts put on. YAY!

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
I have this comming at me in about 5k miles and I'm planning on doing this myself. Here is what I will do for sure:
- replace engine oil and filter (i do it every 7500miles with synthetic, supported by UOA from Blackstone labs)
- Replace sparkplugs (inspected at 36k were almost brand new so did not change then)
- Replace air filter
- add some SeaFoam to clean fuel system

will check:
- brake pad thickness (as of now there is more than half of the pad left and rotors are OK)

May perform (if I feel like)
- coolant flush
- brake fluid flush

I don't expect to spend more than $100 on the "for sure" items along with about 4hours of my saturday time :icon_biggrin:

I would never go to the dealership for anything other than a free warranty work.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,901 Posts
Timing belt isn't due till 105k miles.

As for the rest of the stuff, you can see from the list above that there's a lot of high priced "inspect," and that the stuff labeled "replace" is all easily within the abilities of most anybody—with perhaps a few little learning experiences along the way. Other than their usefulness in keeping warranties alive (which point you are well beyond), there's nothing of a highly critical nature at the scheduled maintenance points till you get up to the 105k milestone. It's all stuff that you would probably have your eyes on anyway, and your Forester isn't going to become terminally ill if you don't meet the exact times.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
/\/\/\ the only thing that I would also point out, that gets confused often is:
There is nothing written in the warranty that would say that you need to go to the dealership for your scheduled maintenance (whether it's 12k, 35k, or 60k) in order to keep the warranty valid.
Yes it is more convenient to have dealer's records when it comes to warranty work but even if you changed it yourself, they can't deny your coverage without proving that a specific action you did/did not do caused this defect.

Certainly if your transmission or engine fails they will not be blaming your self oil changes. Little logic, guys.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,901 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts