Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my '06 Forester XT in for it's 5 year/60K service. The car only actually has about 25K miles on it. I have been maintaining it properly. According to Yelp the dealership I took it do had some questionable reviews, but I did not have much choice in the matter.

I just got back their list of recommendations after inspection . . . and it's huge. I realize that a lot of this is much cheaper if you do it yourself, but that is not an option for me. I am wondering what of this list is truly necessary, what's probably an upsell, and if the prices are reasonable.

60K Major Inspection -- $200
Replace Rear Wiper -- $14.99
Power Trans Flush -- $170
Radiator Flush -- $170
Power Steering Fluid Exchange -- $169.99 (Marked as "Caution")
Tire Balance -- $70 (Marked as "Caution")
Replace Cabin Filter -- $102 (Marked as "FAILED")
Clean & Lube Brake Caliper/Slide -- $62.50 (Marked as "Caution")
Perform Brake System Fluid Exchange -- $170 (Marked as "Caution")
Replace Spark Plugs - $320 (Marked as "Caution", additional note, appear to be original plugs)
Clean and Service Throttle Body -- $170 (Marked as "Caution")

Seeing this bill sort of blew my mind. Is this really normal for a 60K service?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Hate to say it, but you paid waaaaaayyy too much. A 60k service should cost between $400 and $600. The factory-recommended maintenance items can be found in the maintenance schedule sticky up top in this forum (and in your maintenance booklet too). Dealers usually add to this in order to up-sell. Be informed on what's really needed - which is nothing beyond what SOA recommends - and have them perform only those maintenance items.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Thats ridiculous.

I don't think I'd ever go back to that dealership. Replacing the power steering fluid takes about 5 minutes and a half bottle of cheap ATF. The cabin filter is about 30$ and is right behind the glove box (and not vital at all). The brakes should be cleaned and lubed when replacing pads/rotors. Spark plugs are done at 60k and shouldn't really cost that much. "clean and service throttle body", they likely spray something like seafoam in, theres nothing servicable about it though, so absolutely just money for them doing nothing. No need for a "radiator flush" you just drain and refill the fluid. And 200$ just for an inspection? Tire balancing should be maybe 20$, and definitely no need this early unless replacing tires.

None of that stuff needs to be done at 25k AT ALL. 60k dealer service should be about 600$ for the XT and the 30k should be about 300$ at a dealer.

lol the only thing reasonable is their price to replace the rear wiper.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Robbery!

(My reading of the post is that this is an estimate, not a bill. He hasn't been robbed yet.)

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
do you not have an estimate that you get before the service that says something like we will call you if actual costs surpass estimate?

ooh ya beat me.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Let me ask you very simple question. Do you have nothing better to do with your money? Stealership are a rip off, some less than others but still you paying premium for haveing a service done through them. car with that milage most likely dose not need nothing but engine oil and filter change. Surre you can do all of the items listed it wont hurt the car but this would be overkill.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,139 Posts
Hahahahahaha.

Did they ask for your first born.?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
I just took my '06 Forester XT in for it's 5 year/60K service. The car only actually has about 25K miles on it.
What was the reasoning for doing the 60K service at 25K?

I don't see differential oil change on the list, that's a 30K maintenance item. Leave the plugs alone, they aren't supposed to be changed 'till after 60K. I'm still on original brake fluid at 55K (I don't recommend it though).

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
If it were me I might look around the area for a Subaru club to join and they may have some recommendations for a good dealership in the area or at the very least, a competent and reasonable mechanic that can service the vehicle and as the others have stated, some of what they want to do sounds unreasonable, their prices seem quite high to me and although I am uncertain about which fluids have a "shelf life," I would seek a second opinion from someone in the area you can trust a bit more, good luck.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Tell us where you live and we might be able to suggest a reputable shop. Do it by filling out your profile; that way it will automatically show up over at the left of every post you make. You can get to your profile by pulling down Quick Links in the tan bar at the top of every page.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Nothing at all in the OP matters beyond performing a
60K service @ ~25K miles.

:crazy:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
^^ Well, technically SOA recommends performing the service at 60k miles or 60 months, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Transmission flush is a very questionable practice. One side says it's a huge markup service and puts the tranny at risk by dislodged gunk. Other side says that it's the best way to keep the gunk from building up.

Personally, after hours of reading this and that on the web, I decided I'd never get a flush. Now, replacing the AT fluid, of course, yes, by all means. That costs probably about 1/2 what the flush does, to let them do it, and a fraction by doing it yourself.

If you've maintained the vehicle, it would appear this shop is way into ripoff services.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
320$ for spark plugs?

wat
they are trying to rob you
Spark plugs on our engines are not easy to get to, this one is probably valid. When the time comes to do mine, I'll most likely be paying someone to do it too.

Stan

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
22 Posts
Man, I just got my car back today from the dealer. I had my HG's done along with my timing chain, everything in both 60k and 90k services (mechanic said it didn't look like it had been done). I had all kinds of misc. gaskets and hoses, plug wires, plugs, misc. bolts, thermostat, all fluids replaces, coolant, all three wiper blades...the list goes on, too much to write down here.

Total bill was 1813.46

You got hosed. You might want to talk to someone at the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you got ripped off... i work for a subaru dealer ( lachute subaru) and a 96k ( 60k us) should have cost you max 450$ ( if no brakes were done). the only thing that might take a while is the pcv valve ( since a xt model we have to take out the intercooler). sorry buddy...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
I've carefully reread the OP, and I still believe that the robbery hasn't yet taken place. Only a conspiracy to commit robbery! Maybe the force of our comments here might stop it in its tracks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts