Discussion Starter #1
i want to do:
new sparks and wires
new coolant- drain and fill(or flush)
oil change
transmission drain and fill
differential drain and fill (F and B)

i would love some recomendations on which sparks and wires i should use
-i would like a hotter spark if possible but im not into gimmicky stuff like 4 contact points and i dont want copper due to short life
-for the wires i would like good insulation and again something that would allow for the best spark

i have never done a coolant, trans, or diff change: what kinds of fluids should i use

all help is appreciated. im confident in my skills in this just looking for imput or good links / walkthroughs (and general discussion / storytelling lol)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
I do my own engine oil & filter changes, but I leave the other fluid changes for for my dealership. Yes I know members will say it's so easy to do, but it just doesn't sound like fun to me. :wink:

I would recommend upgrading to iridium spark plugs, which will last 60K+ miles. For wires, no need to go fancy... unless you want to. Stock wires should be fine. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
I didn't do my own fluid change, but I upgraded to Redline synthetic ATF & rear differential oil. at your miles, I wouldn't recommend a ATF flush. If you're going to do a flush (I did), you want to do it early on. I had mine done at a bit over 22K miles. As to coolant, use a Subaru coolant, or one that meets the Subaru requirements. Don't forget the Subaru conditioner! I also added Redline Water Wetter. If you're going to replace the brake fluid, I'd recommend a full synthetic. I went with Valvoline full synthetic brake fluid. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
no flush i heard horror stories of things not working
That's what I read here on the forum. My dealership service advisor recommendation the Redline ATF & a flush. I had the 4EAT flushed on the '03 X & the '07 FSXT. Zero problems & they're both operating perfectly. As I wrote earlier, if you're going to do a transmission flush, you want to do it early on. If you wait until you have high miles, you're asking for trouble. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts