Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Auto (CVT)
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All -

My dealer wants $600 to do the 30k service on my 2014 2.5i premium. Is this in the ballpark from your experience?

Thank you!
Mike

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
89 Posts
That's crazy. Based on what is in the service manual, 600 seems really high to me. Are you having anything special done?

The maintenance schedule is basically an oil change plus air filter; with some inspections at 30K.

I cannot speak to comparison on dealer prices, I would not go to a dealer service center for paid services.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for the replies!

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
My dealer list this, along with all inspections:

Replace engine oil per specifications for your model
Replace filter with Genuine Subaru oil filter
Check and top off all fluids
Rotate tires and set tire pressures
Replace cabin air filter
Replace Spark Plugs (if applicable)
Replace Air Filter
Replace Brake Fluid
Inspect everything

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
89 Posts

Replace cabin air filter
Replace Air Filter
Replace Brake Fluid
Inspect everything
With all this, the $400 seems in the ballpark, though a little high for my cheap wallet. :huh: I know, bought an expensive(ish) SUV, but doesn't want to spend on service...

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts

Replace cabin air filter
Replace Air Filter
Replace Brake Fluid
Inspect everything

Spark plugs at 30k seems early most of my previous vehicles it was recommended at 100k. Seems like the only thing I could not do myself on the list is the brake fluid maybe but I really could do but really not want to do is bleed the brakes. I wonder what they would charge to just do the inspection and bleed the brakes?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Spark plugs at 30k seems early most of my previous vehicles it was recommended at 100k. Seems like the only thing I could not do myself on the list is the brake fluid maybe but I really could do but really not want to do is bleed the brakes. I wonder what they would charge to just do the inspection and bleed the brakes?
The spark plugs probably do not apply to the 30k mile service. The 30k spark plugs are only for certain models... likely not the Forester.

As you can see here, the Forester get 60k mile spark plug intervals. 2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Thanks for the link for the 2015 Forester they changed the oil change interval to 6k. I usually check the dealers websites some will have coupons for certain services.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is very helpful y'all. I can do most of this myself as well, may do my part and then just have the dealer do the other stuff.

·
Registered
2015 forester AT
55 Posts
30 k service

Hi, I generally do my own maintanence and have 90K on my 2012 forester. I change the oil and wix filter every 8k miles. I use a K & N air filter and clean it every 30k miles. The front axle, rear axle and a/t I have Jiffy lube do it. I provide the a/t fluid. (using amsoil a/t fluid). (Dealer wanted $145 for just A/T fluid change). Last time, at Jiffy Lube it was just over $100 for the three fluids.Did my front and rear brakes last month. I haven't change my plugs yet, will do at 100k. They aren't difficult just unusual. Have done them in my last three Subies.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
This is very helpful y'all. I can do most of this myself as well, may do my part and then just have the dealer do the other stuff.
Do what you can your self. Document what you did. If you can't do it..I would recommend getting the rear differential oil changed. You should be able to do the cabin filter with an after market filter.

Remember your warranty is not void if all of the items on the list are not done. Magnuson-Moss Warranty act says that if actions in your part cause a defect that part of the warranty is not covered. Big thing is engine oil and filter. Cabin filter isn't gonna affect warranty. But its a good thing to change.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
26 Posts
My local dealer here in OKC charges $410 for the 30k service.

Here is the list of all they do and their prices: Hudiburg Subaru | Vehicles for sale in Oklahoma City, OK 73149

Call around and check with all the dealers in the DFW area.
Wow- even $410 seems really high. That's about $130-150 in materials and about an hour of shop time-- so around $260/hour for labor??

Are all Subaru dealerships this expensive for scheduled services? I'd better check out my local dealerships to see what they charge before I make an order or decide on any extended warranties or service plans.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT
8 Posts
Test it yourself. If it hasn't absorbed a lot of water yet there is no need to change your brake fluid this early. You just need to use an optical refractometer to test for water and any company's chemical test strips to test for the presence of copper. Typically you won't have to change it for 50k+ miles, or more.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
FWIW, $600 is pretty much what dealers and shops around here charge for the 60k service, which is much more extensive.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
My vehicle is leased and would never ever spend $600 or even $400 for any kind of service on a leased vehicle. The vehicle is warranted bumper to bumper for as long as the lease term.

I asked the salesman what do I need to do about service. All he said was make sure you change the oil and filter every 5000 miles and rotate the tires at least every 7500 miles. So that is what I am going to do.

Except I change the oil and filter at 6000 miles.

Also most of the things that they check, you can do yourself.

It has always been said that auto dealers make most of their money in the service dept. and not from selling vehicles.
This is a case in point.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
23 Posts
Stay away. Just get the oil change. Brake fluid and Coolant is good for 3 years. My new 2009 civic still has the original fluids and it has 75k and drives fine. Replacing your cabin filters, air filters is pretty easy. Your spark plugs at 30k is very early unless your turbo'd. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
We had the local dealer do the by-the-book maintenance on our '12. $240, much less than the added-onto list they "recommend" (around $400). No guff from them for 'only' doing the manufacturer's suggested items. This particular dealer will also tell you if something does NOT need replacement.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts