Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
I am waiting for the admission that the car is slower and does not handle as well. And maybe in later years we will hear how the 45 sidewall makes for a really rough ride.
Keep in mind the spacer you have added has pushed the wheel 20 mm out further from the hub. It has changed your alignment, it will put extra stress on your wheel bearings, and if you did not change to longer wheel studs, its very possible that your wheels are being held on by just a few threads.
I admire your go-to spirit, but I think you leaped in here before really knowing what you are doing. Please have your studs checked out.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
166 Posts
Do you plan on removing your wheels after a few hundred miles to make sure the spacer bolts are tight? Unfortunately with wheel spacers there is no other way to verify they haven't loosened. It's not unusual for bolts to need a re tightening after some use, especially when extra stress is placed on them. Please do this, or buy proper wheels and tires. You can re sell these to someone else. I'm not trying to bum you out, but it sounds like you aren't too experienced with car mechanics. We all learn some things the hard way.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I drove a couple hundred miles in them and took off all the tires to verify fitment. I realized since I’d be modifying my wheels myself I would torque them too. I tried selling them everywhere to a decent price and no one wanted them, I almost gave them away lmao. You are right I am not too experienced with car mechanics but I am learning through the process.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quadraria10
Thank you for the advice! I knew before putting the adapters on my car that they would take away from the “stock” fitment. I will definitely let you know when I notice the car acting any different haha. For now after a few hundred miles I haven’t noticed any differences.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
166 Posts
You've got a great attitude, I suspect you are going to learn a lot and become good at maintaining your cars. Enjoy your Forester, we had an 03 with a manual and it was our favorite out of 6 Foresters we've owned including my 2021.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
Jerhem I am a bit reassured. I just looked at your spacers and noticed that they come with new wheel studs so I am guessing it all goes together safely. It's not as if they are a huge size increase, so if you don't mind the change it makes, it's probably fine. A good alignment shop can probably get you in spec.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I figured that that’s one thing I didn’t want to cheap out on. The wheels are really just temporary until I find some different rims that are more my style and 5x100.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
Bonne chance mon ami. I can say for sure that you would have no trouble selling those rims in Quebec. Having to run winter tires makes it very desirable to have a second set of rims. It might be easier to sell both the tires and rims separately if that is what you want to do.
I found a second set of Crosstrek rims that I bought used. Have my summer tires on those and kept the original alloys for my winter tires. I think the Crosstrek rims look better on an SH Forester than they do on the Crosstrek.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts