Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

721 - 727 of 727 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,549 Posts
So I'm looking at doing a full FSTI conversion with 6 speed, 5x100 Brembos, suspension, etc and have a couple questions.

If you get the full swap which includes crossmembers and mounts, subframe and differential, I'm assuming there is nothing that needs to be swapped or shimmed and SG9 FSTi utilizes all the same angles that the USDM FXT does?

Secondly, going this route does anyone know if they can answer these questions? edit: looked up my own answers

1) What is a compatible clutch for future replacement? is the Push type clutch retained?
- It's the same clutch as the STI 6MT, pull type based on part numbers

2) Are wheel bearings the same as USDM and can be replaced with the same FXT or is it another size?
- Wheel bearings are the same as FXT and other 5x100 vehicles

3) What pads are compatible with 5x100 brembos?
- Pads are the same as other Brembo equipped vehicles including the STI

·
Registered
06 CGM FXT- Full STi Swap
57 Posts
I mentioned above ^^ when doing the FXT front cross member spacer delete that you will need to use spacers to fill the void left from the spacer delete when re-installing the front sub-frame.

Here are some photos of these spacers that I made out of 1" dia. 1/8" wall aluminum tubing and showing them installed.

Does anyone by chance have these photos? Seems like most of them are gone in this thread. I'm about to do my sti driveline swap and trying to figure out what spacers i'll need to make when i swap the sti engine crossmember in. Planning on using the shorter bolts from the sti, but can't see where i'd need to ADD new spacers...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 07 WRX 5 speed
10 Posts
Alright. So much info here I got lost and lots of the pics are gone, so please forgive me. Car started out as an 06 fxt 5mt. I ordered an 06 usdm sti trans with cross member (didn't have enough for the rear diff as well so im using a bugeye 3.54 rear diff for now). I have the stock fxt Engine cross member, stock 06 fxt 5mt (and stock 06 usdm sti) trans cross member, yokonata motorsports trans mount, and pitch mount, auto impreza driveshaft, stock 06 fxt 5mt rear diff mount thingy. I'm unemployed right now due to covid, and so I have to reuse as much as possible.
What's my best course of action here?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
Alright. So much info here I got lost and lots of the pics are gone, so please forgive me. Car started out as an 06 fxt 5mt. I ordered an 06 usdm sti trans with cross member (didn't have enough for the rear diff as well so im using a bugeye 3.54 rear diff for now). I have the stock fxt Engine cross member, stock 06 fxt 5mt (and stock 06 usdm sti) trans cross member, yokonata motorsports trans mount, and pitch mount, auto impreza driveshaft, stock 06 fxt 5mt rear diff mount thingy. I'm unemployed right now due to covid, and so I have to reuse as much as possible.
What's my best course of action here?
Remove the front subframe spacers, pop the 6mt in with auto shaft connected to 3.54 diff using the 06 STI crossmember, use the new pitch stop if it's a WRX/STI fitment one, otherwise just source a stock impreza pitchstop for the cheap. Do you have the shifter/linkage for 6mt? Also, you'll have to swap the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/starter for pull style parts I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Remove the front subframe spacers, pop the 6mt in with auto shaft connected to 3.54 diff using the 06 STI crossmember, use the new pitch stop if it's a WRX/STI fitment one, otherwise just source a stock impreza pitchstop for the cheap. Do you have the shifter/linkage for 6mt? Also, you'll have to swap the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/starter for pull style parts I believe.
Thanks for the reply.
I do have all the linkages, Shifter, knob, lockout, act disc, and pressure plate, oem Subaru TOB, clutch fork, sti FW. And yeah the new pitch mount is a wrx/sti fit

When it comes to the front subframe spacers, will you elaborate? Front of the engine cross member? Are they on the crossmember its self, or on the frame? This was one of the places I got lost since a lot of the pics are gone.

Edit: when you said sti cross member, you were referring to the trans cross member, right?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I do have all the linkages, Shifter, knob, lockout, act disc, and pressure plate, oem Subaru TOB, clutch fork, sti FW. And yeah the new pitch mount is a wrx/sti fit

When it comes to the front subframe spacers, will you elaborate? Front of the engine cross member? Are they on the crossmember its self, or on the frame? This was one of the places I got lost since a lot of the pics are gone.

Edit: when you said sti cross member, you were referring to the trans cross member, right?
In between the front subframe and the chassis you'll see some blocks, they're about an inch and a quarter tall. You remove those to raise the subframe back up. And yes I meant the trans cross member.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In between the front subframe and the chassis you'll see some blocks, they're about an inch and a quarter tall. You remove those to raise the subframe back up. And yes I meant the trans cross member.
Alright so I took out the spacers and put everything back together, however I didn't notice it at first but the STi trans crossmember is bent and had to use the forester crossmember. Is that gonna he fine? Also with removing the spacers, will I still be able to use the forester radiator or do I have to convert to a wrx radiator.

721 - 727 of 727 Posts