Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

701 - 720 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
I know its not relevant to the cross member per say, but it is to the swap in general.. I've just begun an auto to 6 speed swap utilizing a 5mt harness, cluster, and ecu.
I have my v7 swapped 02 wrx as my parts car(very long story).

Anyway, my question is about the tmic splitter. By raising the subframe, and presumably the engine, wouldn't it cause issues with the oem splitter? My AMR fmic wasn't going to work for me so I've sold it. My plan was to run a GS tmic and splitter but I'm stuck on whether or not I should be running the wrx or fxt unit. Thank you
-Dave
You will just need to run a impreza fitment splitter. Im running a GD Sti Splitter on my car.
Are you sure about this? I contacted GrimmSpeed and their splitter for FXT is 3.5" longer than the Impreza one, and they suggest to modify the splitter to fit by cutting an inch off, rather than using the Impreza fitment splitter.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
3 Posts
Hi i just finished this swap for the most part. I still need to trim my upper radiator hose and my process west splitter but it's all in the car at least. Now my question when i do my alignment do i align to a 07 forester or 06 sti?

·
Registered
2004 XT
118 Posts
forester sti drivetrain swap. are there spacer issues or is it a direct swap? this is for a forester sti drivetrain, not wrx sti.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
814 Posts
Are you sure about this? I contacted GrimmSpeed and their splitter for FXT is 3.5" longer than the Impreza one, and they suggest to modify the splitter to fit by cutting an inch off, rather than using the Impreza fitment splitter.
100% sure, the GD splitter fit perfectly on mine, i removed the subframe spacers and am running an 06 STI front subframe and it fits perfectly. No gaps or cooling issues.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
814 Posts
forester sti drivetrain swap. are there spacer issues or is it a direct swap? this is for a forester sti drivetrain, not wrx sti.
no spacer issues if you don't remove your spacers. I believe that the forester STI still had the subframe spacers in there so that being said the forester STI 6 speed will need to have the forester sti or XT geometry inorder for things to work correctly. So i do not believe that you can remove your spacers without needing a different driveshaft and shifter controls.

·
Registered
2004 XT
118 Posts
no spacer issues if you don't remove your spacers. I believe that the forester STI still had the subframe spacers in there so that being said the forester STI 6 speed will need to have the forester sti or XT geometry inorder for things to work correctly. So i do not believe that you can remove your spacers without needing a different driveshaft and shifter controls.
I see you killerfoz. Still looking for those foglights!

·
Registered
2004 XT JDM bits
485 Posts
i just want to start off by thank you guys for all the help.

we didn't replace the crossmember pieces. ended up using the stock 5sp one and just used washers to space out the driveshaft. btw, anyone think an aluminum one piece would be better in this situation?

i think something is def wrong though because i'm hearing a lot more noise from the trans when in gear.

like the steel ring is hitting against the body?
Can you or anyone that used the following setup please advise on what size spacer/washers were used? I think I need to space it just a bit.

- 04 FXT 5spd and used 04 Forester STI front axles, forester sti prop shaft, 04 forester jdm trans, r180 rear diff, 04/GDB sti rear diff carrier
- FXT engine crossmember WITH subframe spacers (SG9 STI actually uses the same spacers)
- FXT 5spd trans crossmember (SG9 STI uses this from factory)
- 04/GDB STI rear diff crossmember
- Forester STI 6spd prop shaft

I also cross referenced all of these OEM part numbers from the website below with Subaru's US site to verify compatibility. Unfortunately I can't cross reference the part number from the 04 Forester STI prop shaft. There's maybe a 2-3mm clearance between the rear of the prop shaft and the rear diff carrier itself at the tail end. I do know the center carrier bearing for the prop shaft is different between Forester and STI in the height it sits at (lowering or lifting the prop shaft itself.)

I get a slight knocking noise when taking a tight turn and pretty sure it's the prop shaft smacking the chassis from vibrations caused by the center diff is on its way out. I unfortunately found this out after the 3 day install was complete and was taking a turn from a stop. Also I have verified I did receive a Forester STI propshaft due to comparing the forester sti vs. gdb 6 speed prop shaft I see that the GDB version actually is two parts and can unbolt from each other via the U-Joint located next to the center carrier bearing and my prop shaft does not have this.

Thanks!

JDM Subaru Part #s and diagrams

Edited for confirming I DO have a Forester STI prop shaft

·
Registered
2004 XT JDM bits
485 Posts
Any of these shafts will work with 6MT: stock Forester XT 4AT, Forester STI, Impreza STI.
I have 8-10 mm of washers to space out prop shaft.
Thank you Oleg! Also did you space it at the center carrier bearing mount? Or at the transmission crossmember? Or both?

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,589 Posts
Read the entire thread and I'm rather confused as to the different set-ups being discussed and MYs.

Is this list accurate for a 5MT to 6MT SG9 on FXT Swift springs, not interested in going to 5x114/Brembos, torque <400WTQ:

2007 STi trans, subframes, rack, starter.
9.2X R160.
AT driveshaft
Delete spacers FXT.

Anything else?
Chose the 2007 STi trans for the longer gearing 2-4 (assuming I can achieve 0-60 in 2nd gear & 1/4 mile in 4th?) but I can source pretty much every MY STi since I live close to Millenium Auto (STI salvage place). Also only a 4 hour drive to JDM yards in Toronto.

Anyone know how to contact Manitou for advice, his last activity was over two years ago :(.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
Read the entire thread and I'm rather confused as to the different set-ups being discussed and MYs.

Is this list accurate for a 5MT to 6MT SG9 on FXT Swift springs, not interested in going to 5x114/Brembos, torque <400WTQ:

2007 STi trans, subframes, rack, starter.
9.2X R160.
AT driveshaft
Delete spacers FXT.

Anything else?
Chose the 2007 STi trans for the longer gearing 2-4 (assuming I can achieve 0-60 in 2nd gear & 1/4 mile in 4th?) but I can source pretty much every MY STi since I live close to Millenium Auto (STI salvage place). Also only a 4 hour drive to JDM yards in Toronto.

Anyone know how to contact Manitou for advice, his last activity was over two years ago :(.
List looks good. For the subframe spacer delete, make sure you grab the pitchstop, subframe bolts, and steering u-joint for WRX/STI as well. Grab the WRX rear subframe as well since it has different inner mounting points for the lateral links and will improve your suspension geometry. You can also get a WRX outrigger to put in while you have the rear diff and driveshaft out. The dimensions aren't different, but it's one piece instead of two, so it'll stiffen the chassis a bit.

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,589 Posts
^Thanks the thing here is that I'm at stock suspension less the slight drop of SWIFTs, this is why my setup is a bit different than the majority here so not sure if that will change things a bit in regards to the outriggers, lateral links, etc.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
^Thanks the thing here is that I'm at stock suspension less the slight drop of SWIFTs, this is why my setup is a bit different than the majority here so not sure if that will change things a bit in regards to the outriggers, lateral links, etc.
You should still definitely swap the rear subframe so your inner suspension mounting points match the fronts, even if you are at stock height. Another possible option is using a JDM FSTI crossmember and auto Forester driveshaft, and not deleting the subframe spacers, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it or if it will even work lol

·
Registered
2004 FXTi Stock
304 Posts
As others have said - there are way too many ppl who took 9 different ways to do this. Some said they were going to do an official write up which got me excited, however it looks like those that said so, never actually did the write up :(

I am by far considered an expert, but thought I would offer a little insight to my swap.

04 Forester > using 04 STi 6speed, 04 STi R180, 04 STi driveshaft

I used stock Forester SF (leaving spacers in), stock Forester CM (with added poly-bushings over the rubber ones), GroupN 5speed tranny mount (because its taller than 6speed), rear 04 STi SF.

With this setup, I did not need to space the driveshaft or make any modifications. I did my best to try and find what the official Subaru driveline angle is actually supposed to be....no dice there. So the eyeball to see how straight it was, was all I could go by. I could measure with a angle gauge, but without offical numbers, it does no good. I was within 2% of a difference from tranny to carrier, carrier to rear diff.

No change in my splitter (processwest), or any other modifications to fit anything else.

No leaks with over 6k miles, no banging, bearing whine/noises, no vibrations, no clunking up to this point.

Now, I did change to coil over suspension, but my only thing noticed is the car does handle differently. Could this be to the geometry with not taking out the forester SF spacers and going with a different setup? It just didn’t feel as tight as the old, like center of gravity was changed - but this could be just suspension related as I did raise it up a 1/4”. Maybe...but there is a large difference in weight between the feather weight 5speed and the overly 3 person safety carry of the 6speed.

In the end it was overly difficult to get a good answer from this thread and there is so much to read and different directions each person took. I took notes over notes and when I thought I had it down on what I would do, I corrected several times because someone else made other points.
Overall there was not a good solid amount of info to know the best route to take. Not to mention that each combo of forester and STi equipment used seem to possibly have a chance to call for something different in the SF,CM,mounts etc.

·
Registered
2004 FXTi Stock
304 Posts
As others have said - there are way too many ppl who took 9 different ways to do this. Some said they were going to do an official write up which got me excited, however it looks like those that said so, never actually did the write up 😞

I am by far considered an expert, but thought I would offer a little insight to my swap.

04 Forester > using 04 STi 6speed, 04 STi R180, 04 STi driveshaft

I used stock Forester SF (leaving spacers in), stock Forester CM (with added poly-bushings over the rubber ones), GroupN 5speed tranny mount (because its taller than 6speed), rear 04 STi SF.

With this setup, I did not need to space the driveshaft or make any modifications. I did my best to try and find what the official Subaru driveline angle is actually supposed to be....no dice there. So the eyeball to see how straight it was, was all I could go by. I could measure with a angle gauge, but without offical numbers, it does no good. I was within 2% of a difference from tranny to carrier, carrier to rear diff.

No change in my splitter (processwest), or any other modifications to fit anything else.

No leaks with over 6k miles, no banging, bearing whine/noises, no vibrations, no clunking up to this point.

Now, I did change to coil over suspension, but my only thing noticed is the car does handle differently. Could this be to the geometry with not taking out the forester SF spacers and going with a different setup? It just didn’t feel as tight as the old, like center of gravity was changed - but this could be just suspension related as I did raise it up a 1/4”. Maybe...but there is a large difference in weight between the feather weight 5speed and the overly 3 person safety carry of the 6speed.

In the end it was overly difficult to get a good answer from this thread and there is so much to read and different directions each person took. I took notes over notes and when I thought I had it down on what I would do, I corrected several times because someone else made other points.
Overall there was not a good solid amount of info to know the best route to take. Not to mention that each combo of forester and STi equipment used seem to possibly have a chance to call for something different in the SF,CM,mounts etc.
Wanted to add - I happened to be under the car inspecting and notice the driveline, after the carrier, right as the rear SF starts, there was a freshly scratched ring on the driveline.

Spaced out the carrier 1/4”, painted the driveline ring spot and will monitor for the next few weeks.

701 - 720 of 727 Posts