Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

681 - 700 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester SF5 5MT
530 Posts
I'm 1/2 way or so through my swap, I had to do engine too since the motor in the FXT I bought had low compression (and 160k miles) I had the motor out of my sti (with 12k miles on it) so it wasnt a big deal.

what are you guys using for the upper radiator hose? the FXT radiator has the hose on the left side, the sti is in the middle and when the engine is up ~1" in the bay it causes the stock hose to kink...is there an easy fix or do you just end up swapping it out for an sti radiator or?
i use aftermarket water temperature adaptor pipe in middle so i can rotate/cut/join the hose any direction i like...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT was 4EAT now 6MT
67 Posts
I'm finishing up my MY06 4eat -> 6MT swap.
My problem right now is that my downpipe sits on the trans cross member. Did anyone run into this issue and how did you resolve it?

I'm running all STI bits: front subframe (FXT spacer delete), trans cross member, rear subframe, knuckles, steering rack and U-Joint.
The Maddad TBE had fit fine when I was still auto.

See attached pics of the problem area by the O2 sensor.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Forester SF5 5MT
530 Posts
I'm finishing up my MY06 4eat -> 6MT swap.
My problem right now is that my downpipe sits on the trans cross member. Did anyone run into this issue and how did you resolve it?

I'm running all STI bits: front subframe (FXT spacer delete), trans cross member, rear subframe, knuckles, steering rack and U-Joint.
The Maddad TBE had fit fine when I was still auto.

See attached pics of the problem area by the O2 sensor.

Thanks.
u might need impreza specific downpipe too... (or lengthen the current downpipe +-1")

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT was 4EAT now 6MT
67 Posts
I figured the problem out. Did not notice the rear bar of the trans cross member was bent. Put a none bent one in and everything clears!

Now just need to figure out why I'm not getting spark when I crank it over :|

·
Registered
2005 STi and XTi ppg dog 6sp/07 sti 6spd
10 Posts
For those of you that have bought a catback after the swap, did you buy a Sti catback or forester catback? I'm getting towards the end of my swap, all I have left is the rear subframe and diff mount and putting the 2nd section of driveshaft in and we're done! I swapped everything, engine cradle/steering rack, trans mount, spacers deleted and the whole rear subframe will be Sti as well...I think the Sti catback would match all the hanger locations correct? Maybe I'm thinking wrong and want fxt?

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
814 Posts
So i just finished my STI swap from a V9 Spec C. Everything went great except for a few small issues. I swapped over the Neutral safety switch as ive seen in the earlier part of this thread onto the six speed but my cruise control still does not work. What ive done is Ive figured out which wires from the harness are the neutral wires and I closed the look with a piece of wire. I looked at my access port in gear position and it read 0. Whichs should mean it is in neutral. When i plug the sensor back into the neutral safety switch the access port reads 6 and will only read 6 whatever gear I am in. Could it be possible that the sensor is bad or possibly something else? Keep in mind this is a brand new sensor. This is my last issue im having so hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
05 Forester XE & XTEn Auto & Manual
412 Posts
I had a flashing cruise light after my 6 speed & running gear swap. To be honest I don't use cruise and have fitted the JDM STi clocks now so I don't have the cruise light on the clocks.

From what I recall if you've retained the Foz 5 speed neutral position switch and fitted it into the Sti 6 speed box then the cruise should still work. I'm sure the headlight levelling sensor at the rear had something to do with it which we ended up retaining the Foz one, plugging it back into the loom and fixing it to the Sti rear sub frame although it's not functional, this cleared the flashing cruise light once reset on the OBD diagnostics machine.

Not sure if the V9 Sti box you have is running on different wiring.

For the readers thinking of doing this 6 speed swap, I painfully read all of this thread before undertaking my swap in my UK 2005 (Facetifted XT) 5 speed manual to a 2004 Sti 6 speed drivetrain and can advise that the simplest hassle free way to do this swap is to completely change everything from a running gear perspective from Forester to Impreza. This includes all cross members/sub frames, (removal of Foz spacers) diff & carrier, prop shaft, driveshafts, outriggers trailing arms, sway bars and mounts, steering rack and U bolt joints. I also fitted Forester specific BC Racing ride height adjustable coil over suspension as I was looking for info on struts to accompany the 6 speed swap and couldn't find any so opted for adjustable to cover all bases. I set my suspension at Foz Sti ride heights, it can go lower but I didn't want a slammed vehicle.

The final stage of the jigsaw is fitting the front "U" brace which I've researched and the forester one can be fitted with 1" spacers which I'll attempt shortly. I also believe an Impreza one may fit, I have one of these so I'll try what's best fit.

The only slight issue I had was the steering column slightly catching on the aftermarket down pipe which after a bit of heat on the down pipe to form a slight indentation to clear the column shaft was resolved.

The only regret I have is poly bushing everything all at once which increases DVT and transmission noise slightly at higher speed. Other than that the car is a blast to drive and feels like stock, the 6 speed totally changes the driving experience and makes the Foz feel like an Impreza. It's a painful swap but totally worth it and economically cheaper than purchasing a Foz Sti.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
Alrighty, I've got a bit of a query here for anyone who might be able to shed some light on it so i can actually get it installed.

The other day I tried to replace the OEM pitchstop with the KB version and it fell about a 1/2 short in the distance needed to bridge the gap. I just finished a 6-spd swap (mechanically anyway) so I'm not 100% sure what's going on and thought it should fit without any issues............it does not.

The only thing I can think of is that it's because I still have the front subframe spacers still installed and thus am using the OEM FXT crossmember with the 5-spd Group-N trans mount with a shimmed carrier bearing (until I come back through later and and do the work needed to remove the spacers and everything that goes along with it).

......if this isn't the issue.....can someone please shed some light on the matter at hand? I want to install the KB pitchstop, not just have it sitting around collecting dust afterall.

·
Premium Member
2007 APS DR65, FMIC, UTEC 6MT from Forester STI (JDM)
208 Posts
Alrighty, I've got a bit of a query here for anyone who might be able to shed some light on it so i can actually get it installed.

The other day I tried to replace the OEM pitchstop with the KB version and it fell about a 1/2 short in the distance needed to bridge the gap. I just finished a 6-spd swap (mechanically anyway) so I'm not 100% sure what's going on and thought it should fit without any issues............it does not.

The only thing I can think of is that it's because I still have the front subframe spacers still installed and thus am using the OEM FXT crossmember with the 5-spd Group-N trans mount with a shimmed carrier bearing (until I come back through later and and do the work needed to remove the spacers and everything that goes along with it).

......if this isn't the issue.....can someone please shed some light on the matter at hand? I want to install the KB pitchstop, not just have it sitting around collecting dust afterall.
Strange...
I also have the front subframe spacers installed and using the OEM FXT crossmember with the 5-spd "Hardrace" trans mount and "Hardrace" pitchstop.
Was never problems to fit pitchstop with 5MT, 6MT (Impreza STI GDB) or my current long gears 6MT (JDM Forester STI).

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
Strange...
I also have the front subframe spacers installed and using the OEM FXT crossmember with the 5-spd "Hardrace" trans mount and "Hardrace" pitchstop.
Was never problems to fit pitchstop with 5MT, 6MT (Impreza STI GDB) or my current long gears 6MT (JDM Forester STI).
I agree, it's faltout very weird that it doesn't quite reach or span the distance like I think it probably should.

At this point, I'm left wondering if I should just wait until I eventually go to remove the front subframe spacers and then try again......

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT manual
122 Posts
I read through the whole thread, but it mostly has discussions about hybrids of fxt/sti parts. Can I simply swap in the following, and reuse all the fxt supports?
jdm sti 6 speed non-dccd transmission
r180
cf 1 piece sti driveshaft
sti 5x100 rear hubs
sti rear axles
shifter assembly

I know some people will say to just delete the spacers, and use the sti crossmembers, etc. I've had 2 sti's before, and if I wanted a track/autoX car, I would've kept them. The fxt is my dd/grocery-getter, and will not see the track.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
I read through the whole thread, but it mostly has discussions about hybrids of fxt/sti parts. Can I simply swap in the following, and reuse all the fxt supports?
jdm sti 6 speed non-dccd transmission
r180
cf 1 piece sti driveshaft
sti 5x100 rear hubs
sti rear axles
shifter assembly

I know some people will say to just delete the spacers, and use the sti crossmembers, etc. I've had 2 sti's before, and if I wanted a track/autoX car, I would've kept them. The fxt is my dd/grocery-getter, and will not see the track.

I think you will run into vibrations issues with the one piece driveshaft and not removing the FXT spacers. This video will help explain why I think this:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
15 Posts
I know its not relevant to the cross member per say, but it is to the swap in general.. I've just begun an auto to 6 speed swap utilizing a 5mt harness, cluster, and ecu.
I have my v7 swapped 02 wrx as my parts car(very long story).

Anyway, my question is about the tmic splitter. By raising the subframe, and presumably the engine, wouldn't it cause issues with the oem splitter? My AMR fmic wasn't going to work for me so I've sold it. My plan was to run a GS tmic and splitter but I'm stuck on whether or not I should be running the wrx or fxt unit. Thank you
-Dave

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
814 Posts
I know its not relevant to the cross member per say, but it is to the swap in general.. I've just begun an auto to 6 speed swap utilizing a 5mt harness, cluster, and ecu.
I have my v7 swapped 02 wrx as my parts car(very long story).

Anyway, my question is about the tmic splitter. By raising the subframe, and presumably the engine, wouldn't it cause issues with the oem splitter? My AMR fmic wasn't going to work for me so I've sold it. My plan was to run a GS tmic and splitter but I'm stuck on whether or not I should be running the wrx or fxt unit. Thank you
-Dave
You will just need to run a impreza fitment splitter. Im running a GD Sti Splitter on my car.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT
226 Posts
I've come across an 06 STi 6 speed that I'm thinking of snagging, with the intention to do this swap this summer. My initial plan was to do the 6 speed, clutch, shifter, auto driveshaft, and a WRX 3.54 diff (can get one for cheap), then later on, when I have more money, swap the R180, axles, hubs, suspension, and all that. Is deleting the subframe spacers absolutely essential to get everything to line up? What I'm reading in this thread is a bit mixed and I'm unsure of what I should be doing with them. When I go full STi, I plan to remove them, but until then, would I be safe to run with them in?

681 - 700 of 727 Posts