Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it much more difficult than a wrx swap? aside from the massive 7K cost?

·
Registered
212 Posts
blacktzak said:
is it much more difficult than a wrx swap? aside from the massive 7K cost?
u can just get the tranny and do the ring and pinion swap. it's pretty simple as long as u know what ya doing.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
RoundTheBend has done the 6-speed swap as well. It's pricey, but other than that no different from swapping it into any other Subie.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
264 Posts
What are the benefits of having an extra gear? You'd be shifting a lot more between 2-4th or 5th gear a lot I'd imagine. I just bought GTP's Gorilla FXT and I'm interested in knowing what the main differences would be (between the stock 5 speed and sti 6 speed tranny) in terms of driving "enjoyment" and performance improvement in a heavily modified FXT.

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
The 6-speed is a lot stronger, so is the one to put in when the 5-speed gives up coping with the modified engine.

As to the ratios and the number of them, I suppose that's more a matter of taste and driving style. On mine I prefer the 6 I've got over the 5 I had on the Impreza, although sometimes I wish it had a 7th...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Singlefin said:
What are the benefits of having an extra gear? You'd be shifting a lot more between 2-4th or 5th gear a lot I'd imagine. I just bought GTP's Gorilla FXT and I'm interested in knowing what the main differences would be (between the stock 5 speed and sti 6 speed tranny) in terms of driving "enjoyment" and performance improvement in a heavily modified FXT.

So you are the new owner, congrats. My buddy George loved that car and took really good care of it.

The six speed is made to handle more power than a stock 5spd but cost per dollar wise you are better off getting new stronger 5spd PPG gears than doing the whole 6sd swap. You only need to upgrade if the stock goes bad. With the stock 4.44 gearing, you are in good hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts