Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 FORESTER
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post.I recently bought an used 2002 Forester.I am really finding this forum very helpful.I Have some few questions ,so I thought I might get some help here.

The stock speakers are really unpleasent to hear,so I was seriously thinking about an upgrade.While I was going through the forum here,Most people suggest , replacing the stock head unit before considering an speaker upgrade.
The Forester came with an 6 CD Changer,So here follows my questions.

1) Does 6 CD changer have 4 channel output or does it have RCA output's?
2) What is the inbuilt amplifier power ratings (RMS) on the 6 cd changer ??
3) I saw that most After Market stereo's have an inbuilt amplifier power rating of (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels).Is the AfterMarket stereo upgrade worth a lot compared to default 6 CD Changer ??
4)Is the 6 CD Changer 4 ohm or 2 ohm
4)Should I rather leave the head unit as it is and consider an 4 channel Amplifier and then consider a speaker upgrade ?

Please excuse my ignorance,I am a complete newbie in car audio .I may have understood things incorrect,Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You in advance for your time

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post.I recently bought an used 2002 Forester.I am really finding this forum very helpful.I Have some few questions ,so I thought I might get some help here.

The stock speakers are really unpleasent to hear,so I was seriously thinking about an upgrade.While I was going through the forum here,Most people suggest , replacing the stock head unit before considering an speaker upgrade.
The Forester came with an 6 CD Changer,So here follows my questions.

1) Does 6 CD changer have 4 channel output or does it have RCA output's?
2) What is the inbuilt amplifier power ratings (RMS) on the 6 cd changer ??
3) I saw that most After Market stereo's have an inbuilt amplifier power rating of (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels).Is the AfterMarket stereo upgrade worth a lot compared to default 6 CD Changer ??
4)Is the 6 CD Changer 4 ohm or 2 ohm
4)Should I rather leave the head unit as it is and consider an 4 channel Amplifier and then consider a speaker upgrade ?

Please excuse my ignorance,I am a complete newbie in car audio .I may have understood things incorrect,Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You in advance for your time
Anoyne Please Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. No RCAs at all just + and - speakeroutputs through the wiring harness.
2. I'm guessing somewhere between 8-12 watts RMS.
3. It will make a big difference, I haven't done one on my Forester yet but I have on other cars. It all just depends on how much you like to listen to music and if you care about better sound quality.
4. 4 ohm.
5. I would replace the HU, you will have better results. If I can explain this correctly; since the components in the factory changer are of lesser quality than a mid range aftermarket unit, the current coming from the OEM unit has many imperfections in it, a signal that is not very clean, amplifying that signal still would not give you as good of results as replacing the unit with better quality internals that output a cleaner signal. they do make devices that you install between a factory deck and an aftermarket amp that will take the imperfections out of the currrent going to the amp then let the amp rebuild the current to a cleaned up , more concistant current that then will go to the speakers. IMO this doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to me tho, unless you have a car that has a HU that is hard to replace, like a newer honda civic or something.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
Anoyne Please Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. No RCAs at all just + and - speakeroutputs through the wiring harness.
2. I'm guessing somewhere between 8-12 watts RMS.
3. It will make a big difference, I haven't done one on my Forester yet but I have on other cars. It all just depends on how much you like to listen to music and if you care about better sound quality.
4. 4 ohm.
5. I would replace the HU, you will have better results. If I can explain this correctly; since the components in the factory changer are of lesser quality than a mid range aftermarket unit, the current coming from the OEM unit has many imperfections in it, a signal that is not very clean, amplifying that signal still would not give you as good of results as replacing the unit with better quality internals that output a cleaner signal. they do make devices that you install between a factory deck and an aftermarket amp that will take the imperfections out of the currrent going to the amp then let the amp rebuild the current to a cleaned up , more concistant current that then will go to the speakers. IMO this doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to me tho, unless you have a car that has a HU that is hard to replace, like a newer honda civic or something.

i agree!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts