Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Forester Premium
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously bigger is better - but is there a performance/speed difference between the two units?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
If you just mean the image on the display, it's identical except for screen size. Which means the smaller display is a higher resolution, in dot-per-inch terms. Also, the larger display is more of a distraction -- catches the eye more when it's not what you're wanting to pay attention to. We have both, the larger on an Outback, the smaller on a Forester. I don't miss anything with the smaller screen. Maybe if my eyes were worse the size would matter.

·
Registered
19 Forester Premium
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was meaning responsiveness, if they were comparable touch, swipe-wise etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,311 Posts
If you just mean the image on the display, it's identical except for screen size. Which means the smaller display is a higher resolution, in dot-per-inch terms.
That is an inaccurate and incorrect statement. Just because a screen size is smaller has zero impact on its resolution.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
That is an inaccurate and incorrect statement. Just because a screen size is smaller has zero impact on its resolution.
You're wrong in this case. The graphics in the systems are designed for a certain absolute size in pixels. Putting the same number of pixels on a smaller screen, you end up with a higher count of dots per inch.

So for instance your standard HD TV screen is 1920 x 1080 pixels. It doesn't matter if you have a 60" screen or a 30" screen. You're still, if it's an HD screen, getting 1920 x 1080 pixels. Same principle with the Subaru screens. The program content is designed for a screen with a set resolution in pixels. The graphics are exactly the same. They are sized in pixels. They fit the same because the small screen is the same size, measured in pixels, as the larger one. That means the smaller one is higher resultion, because resolution is measured in pixels-per-inch. There are more pixels-per-square-inch because the screen is physically smaller.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Was meaning responsiveness, if they were comparable touch, swipe-wise etc.
Thanks!
The larger screen, at least in our '18 Outback, is over-responsive. Just putting a hand near the screen, say to turn the knob beside it, can make things happen we don't intend. Maybe they've fixed that since? Anyway, the smaller screen, on our '19 Forester, doesn't have that problem. It's responsive enough, but waits to be touched, rather than being set off by mere proximity.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
58 Posts
You're wrong in this case. The graphics in the systems are designed for a certain absolute size in pixels. Putting the same number of pixels on a smaller screen, you end up with a higher count of dots per inch.
You're making assumptions that may or may not be correct. There are no standards for resolution in vehicle infotainment screens, so comparing to HDTV isn't valid. I worked in infotainment UI for the past few years, and it's typical to have hardware differences as you architect different offerings - so lower resolution with a less expensive processor has been common on base vehicles, and higher resolution / faster processors on uplevels. It doesn't mean Subaru did this, but it is possible. The savings per vehicle on the hardware would easily pay for the extra work to have two sets of graphics at different resolutions.

BUT - as costs continue to fall, we're quickly getting to a point where even the entry systems are just fine - just like we did in computers a few years back, and are quickly getting there now in cellphones.

I would look at the 6.5" and decide if you are happy with the sharpness/resolution. If so, then the actual resolution doesn't matter.
Also play with the screen, see how responsive it is, does it have low latency? I have seen some complaints in reviews.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,311 Posts

So for instance your standard HD TV screen is 1920 x 1080 pixels. It doesn't matter if you have a 60" screen or a 30" screen. You're still, if it's an HD screen, getting 1920 x 1080 pixels. Same principle with the Subaru screens. The program content is designed for a screen with a set resolution in pixels. The graphics are exactly the same. They are sized in pixels. They fit the same because the small screen is the same size, measured in pixels, as the larger one. That means the smaller one is higher resultion, because resolution is measured in pixels-per-inch. There are more pixels-per-square-inch because the screen is physically smaller.
Sorry but your statement is severely flawed my friend. You know nothing about the screens that Subaru selected for the 6.5" and 8" head units and who are you to say that the resolution of the smaller screen is better than that of the larger screen? Show us all hard documentation to justify your above statements? The resolution on the 8" screen is SUPERB and I have seen both and see no difference or degradation in resolution.

I agree with @cz9h3d that you are making assumptions that may not be correct and generalizing related to an HDTV screen. If you're going to post, post fact to back up your statement and not your opinion:wink2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,311 Posts
The larger screen, at least in our '18 Outback, is over-responsive. Just putting a hand near the screen, say to turn the knob beside it, can make things happen we don't intend. Maybe they've fixed that since? Anyway, the smaller screen, on our '19 Forester, doesn't have that problem. It's responsive enough, but waits to be touched, rather than being set off by mere proximity.

@wytt...you are absolutely correct in that the head units manufactured for the 17-18 Forester are OVERLY sensitive and a simple bump will trigger the screen. Happened to us all the time in our 17 XT Touring and was very unnerving. The screens manufactured for the 19, both small and large are very different and do not experience these issues as you and I have both determined...thank God!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So in regards to features/functions, can the 6.5" do/have everything the 8" has?

Specifically for the 2019 and up, since that is what I am looking to buy soon.

Android Auto support is a BIG PLUS!!

You know I had to ask. :)

·
Registered
2017 None
46 Posts
Anyone here with the 6.5" screen think it's large enough and not wishing they had gotten a trim with a larger screen?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts