Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a quick question. Is there any advantage over using 5W30 to 10W30. I have always used 10W30 in my 98 Forester S but was wondering (it being very cold here recently) if I should switch to 5W30.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
So I have a quick question. Is there any advantage over using 5W30 to 10W30. I have always used 10W30 in my 98 Forester S but was wondering (it being very cold here recently) if I should switch to 5W30.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I always run 5W-30, as that is what is specified by Subaru. Wouldn't surprise me if you saw a MPG gain running it, and less noisy cold startups.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
If the ambient air temperature gets below -20C Subaru recommend you use 5w-30. Advantages would be easier starting and fuel economy . However on high mileage engines you may notice tappet noise on start up. Might be worth a try .

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Just follow the owner's manual on this issue. They pay a lot of highly educated engineers to make these recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
As the previous posters have said, use the recommended 5W-30 multi-viscosity oil. 5W is the cold end & 30W the hot end. When the engine is cold, the oil acts like it's 5W & will flow easily to protect the critical parts of the engine during the warm up period. As the engine gets hot, the oil acts like a 30W oil, again providing the correct oil flow to protect your engine. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts