Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when I'm stopped on inclines in first gear, I can release the brake entirely and the fozzy will not roll backwards. Is this a feature subies have? I'm so used to being fairly quick to gas it on steep inclines, its a little odd to get used to not having to with my fozzy.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The feature is called "hill holder" or something similar. Check page 7-30 of your '04's owner manual for more info.

One thing I need to remember when driving my wife's Honda Accord with 5MT is that her car does not have this feature.:icon_eek:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Yup, it's normal. And rather handy! Similar to a line lock used in drag racing or 4x4 to hold brakes after the pedal is released. Although, as stated before, when you drive another car don't forget it's not there!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
Gear doesn't matter (at least in US spec Foresters). These three conditions must be met for the Hill Holder to retain pressure in the brake system:
Forester heading at least a bit uphill
Forester not moving
Clutch pedal down
For more information click here.

The Hill Holder in the SG (2003-2008) series is totally mechanical. The SH series introduced electronic smarts into the system.

Edit: AFAIK the Hill Holder is unique to Foresters in the Subaru lineup. There is none in my wife's Impreza, and like Jim (above), I sometimes forget. I would imagine that it would be a pretty easy transplant if one wanted to do it, since the Forester is built on the Impreza platform.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
^Must be some difference in the market then. I drove a older impreza some years ago. Don't remember year but anyway. it did have hill holder. But then it also had a low gear selector

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I think it can be disabled on 2008 and prior, but in 2009 they made the Hill Assist feature electronic in that it is part of the ECU programming with an integrated inclinometer in the shifter console and it is impossible to disable now. which I don't know why anyone would want to disable it, but just saying.

·
Registered
2009 X
89 Posts
Although I really like the feature I could definitely see why some people would want to be able to easily deactivate it. It's great when pulling a trailer or climbing hills off road, but having owned nothing but manuals my whole life I'm used to being able to throw the clutch in and let it roll back without throwing it in reverse or waiting for it to disengage.

The forester is my daily driver so getting into my Supra after driving the forester all week and all the sudden not having it is definitely an eye opener when I'm on autopilot :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Hill holder only lasts for about 1.5 seconds, then disengages (at least on my 2009 2.5x). So if you WANT to roll back for some reason, just let go of the brake and count 1-Mississippi. And if not, make sure you realize that it will let you go after 1.5 seconds if you don't give it the gas and start to move forward.

You don't HAVE to wait for it to disengage to move forward. If you're already skilled at the quick shift into first on a hill, just proceed as normal. The hill holder won't stop you from moving forward, only backward.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
20 Posts
Just remember that your hill holder is cable operated, and therefore needs to be adjusted from time to time. Sometimes they're also too tight from the factory -- so tight I've seen engines stall before the hill holder lets loose. Your dealer should adjust that ever 15k miles or so, but keep an eye on it (If you're still under your 3 year/36000 mile warranty you can even get it adjusted for free once. Just say it feels too tight or too loose).

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! I definitely like the feature, but when I hop in my MR2 I tend to forget hills can be a p.i.t.a:biggrin: Another reason I'm glad I bought a fozzy for my daily!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts