Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT 5MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My FXT recently developed a clunk when shifting; this isn't the rear end clunk that is more common, but sounds as though it is something shifter/linkage related as it only occurs when I let out the clutch and the gear fully engages. It seems to be more prevalent in 1st/2nd but I'll hear (and feel it through the shifter) in all gears at different times. Will also hear/feel the shifter clunk going over larger bumps.

It's been cold here lately (well, cold for Texas) so I'm not sure if it might be related to that.

I have the stock shifter (although I messed with it installing and then uninstalling a Cobb short shifter), Cobb front and rear shifter bushings, and Kartboy diff outrigger bushings installed. All of this was done 2-3 weeks ago when I first got the car and drove fine until a couple of days ago.

EDIT: Okay, it's not doing it anymore, I didn't do anything. Would still be nice to figure out what it was in case it comes back.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT 5MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It was back today :(

It's more of a rattle sound maybe? I put the car on ramps today and checked all the shifter bushings and everything was still tight. Checked the shifter and pivot bushing too and they were fine...

I'm kind of at a loss...I checked the tranny fluid and it looked okay but I'm going to change it anyways. Not sure what to do next :( I was hoping it was a loose bushing or something they all looked fine.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT 5MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in case anyone runs into a similar problem; I was afraid there was something expensive causing this so I took it to the dealer.

They diagnosed the noise as coming from the rear shifter bushing and replaced it with a sti bushing; problem solved! I'm guessing it was likely a poor install job on my part since I don't remember using too much lube on the rear -- that's what she said.

And aside from fixing my previous issue, I think I may like the sti bushing better: still firmer than stock but just enough give. The bushing was cheap enough ($25) but labor was typical inflated dealer rates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts