Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 forester 2.0 x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my forester around six months now. Its done 88000 miles
3rd gear has started to crunch slightly, More so when cold, I assume the synchro is on its way out, what do you guys think?
If the synchro is shot would I be better looking for a second hand gearbox or a box rebuild ?

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
the MT in the Forester is notoriously "notchy" especially ones with some miles.

The MT fluid is supposed to be changed as part of service.

Changing the MT fluid in your car can't hurt. might help.

·
Registered
54 forester 2.0 x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome and the replies :) I was hoping somebody might suggest an idea for a fix rather than just trash the box .
So if I go for the smurfs blood oil how would that be far superior to the castrol stuff do you think ?

Also is it an easy enough job to drain and refill, I'm ok with most minor mechanical jobs

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Does it do this during fast changes or always?
Be prepared for a big rebuild bill if syncros need changing as the box needs to come out :(
Getting a 2nd hand gearbox will not guarrantee anything unless it is verified low mileage and has nto been thrashed.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the replies :) I was hoping somebody might suggest an idea for a fix rather than just trash the box .
So if I go for the smurfs blood oil how would that be far superior to the castrol stuff do you think ?

Also is it an easy enough job to drain and refill, I'm ok with most minor mechanical jobs

Mine started to play up at 85,000 miles just short of the recommended change at 90000 miles. Since then no more problems (touches wood :icon_biggrin:)

Not an oil man but you may want to go through this thread......

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/manual-transmission-faq-14804/

Over on Scoobynet many have just changed to Castrol Syntrax and got the same results.

Drain plug is easy to get to, sits between engine and gearbox under covers.
Filling is done, carefully:icon_biggrin:, via the dip stick hole.
A funnel with a flexy spout comes in handy.

·
Registered
54 forester 2.0 x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it do this during fast changes or always?
Be prepared for a big rebuild bill if syncros need changing as the box needs to come out :(
Getting a 2nd hand gearbox will not guarrantee anything unless it is verified low mileage and has nto been thrashed.
yes mainly on fast down changes, and much worse in cold weather. if i change down into 3rd and take my time with the change it slots in fine
hopefully an oil change will help

·
Registered
54 forester 2.0 x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine started to play up at 85,000 miles just short of the recommended change at 90000 miles. Since then no more problems (touches wood :icon_biggrin:)

Not an oil man but you may want to go through this thread......

Over on Scoobynet many have just changed to Castrol Syntrax and got the same results.

Drain plug is easy to get to, sits between engine and gearbox under covers.
Filling is done, carefully:icon_biggrin:, via the dip stick hole.
A funnel with a flexy spout comes in handy.
thanks for the info mate think i will have go with the syntax and see how it goes :) i will keep you posted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts